Author Topic: Manders Menagerie  (Read 26859 times)

Offline znmanders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manders Menagerie
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Is the book "Manders Shows and Menageries" any good? I think it's something my great aunt might like to look at (she's a walking reference book on our family history, and all things circus...) There's a strong chance she will probably know everything in it though, but if there are pictures, she'd probably like that. Her flat got flooded in the summer, and she lost a lot of very old, irreplacable photos.

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone interested in the history of Manders Managerie or any of the traveling menageries of the 19th Century. It is full of pictures, anecdotes and biographical info on several branches of Manders. Lots of background on Maccomo.
Simon
Scotland; Dumfries (Beattie), Ayrshire (Anderson) Galashiels (Aitken/Mack) Berwick (John Ford, William Ford)<br />Manchester (Walter Lake 1865-1903, Green) Great Budworth (William Smith, formerly Rayner) <br />Worcs. (Stourbridge- Samuel Hill) (Dudley- Anderson)

Offline znmanders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I think i'll get it. It's always interesting to know your roots. My grandad was a Manders, and my gran was a Fossett, meaning I have circus heritage too. Fun to see peoples faces when you say things like "my dad used to have a pet elephant when he was a kid..." tends to get some interesting responses.
Zo

Offline marcmanders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 April 10 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hello... to znmanders..... is your father David Manders.... ie if so my mum is his  1st cousin Jean Manders from Lochwinnoch..
Also you must be zowie? if so i havn't got any info ie dates for yourself dob.. or new child? etc chat more if you are the right person.....
marc manders

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
mander manders fossett perry baily gallaher holden johnson law jones Johnson Robinson trett

Offline marcmanders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 April 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
hello simon,
im one of the 7th generations of Manders family .... bit of info that might help, during the 1800s the Manders Royal wax show, had different perfomers as you will know... Ned Green ..im sure is listed somewhere in my notes, i'll get back tell u more.... but also one of the Manders in late 1800s married a Holden, of which the Holden family were one of the puppet side shows doing punch n judy plus other marrionett shows, ... now if ned was with Manders... he would have known the Holden family (puppets) as many of the fun grounds they were on the same ground??/

marc manders
mander manders fossett perry baily gallaher holden johnson law jones Johnson Robinson trett

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 April 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
hello simon,
im one of the 7th generations of Manders family .... bit of info that might help, during the 1800s the Manders Royal wax show, had different perfomers as you will know... Ned Green ..im sure is listed somewhere in my notes, i'll get back tell u more.... but also one of the Manders in late 1800s married a Holden, of which the Holden family were one of the puppet side shows doing punch n judy plus other marrionett shows, ... now if ned was with Manders... he would have known the Holden family (puppets) as many of the fun grounds they were on the same ground??/

marc manders

Hello Marc,
PS The link for my grandmother's tale of how Ned Green joined the circus changed. Here it is: http://simon.smithb.com/familytree/wp01/p01_064b.pdf

When I researched Ned's biography I was able to confirm there was an acrobatic "school" near where he lived in the 1840's St. Pancras. It is shown in the 1827 Greenwood map of London and referenced in Mayhew's writings of 1849. However the timeline for the history of Manders seemed to not fit for Ned Green to have joined Manders troupe in the 1840s. I still think he was associated with Manders at some point however.

Simon
Scotland; Dumfries (Beattie), Ayrshire (Anderson) Galashiels (Aitken/Mack) Berwick (John Ford, William Ford)<br />Manchester (Walter Lake 1865-1903, Green) Great Budworth (William Smith, formerly Rayner) <br />Worcs. (Stourbridge- Samuel Hill) (Dudley- Anderson)

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 April 10 17:28 BST (UK) »
Marc,

My research does not always add up with dates.

If family lore is to be believed Ned Green worked as an acrobat prior to his marriage in 1848, and the book indicated Manders Menagerie started in 1852. As to Punch and Judy, Ned took his performing family to NY to perform in the 1870s. When he returned to Manchester c.1878 he started a Punch show on Blackpool beach, so not sure if this connects with the Holden family dates. My suspicion is that throughout his lengthy career as a performer he worked for a number of circuses and traveling shows. Performers worked on a contract basis and there was always a push for fresh and new acts.
I was told that at one point a relative had some brasswork from Manders which only reinforces my belief that he worked for the show at some point however.

Offline lostsouls

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 July 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
that was my great great grandfathers menagerie then it was manders fair if you branch out to the right family.

Offline marcmanders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 03:55 BST (UK) »
that was my great great grandfathers menagerie then it was manders fair if you branch out to the right family.

Which one of your g g grandfathers on on your tree/? William, James, John? i have the full family tree on all the lines. my tree is william mander then James manders 1800 then John manders 1839 then John manders 1870 then william walter manders 1907 then my mother Jean manders 1936 then myself Marc Manders.
at present i have around 250 manders in the tree, plus another 150 relations with other names but all connented up till 2010.
let me know if you want more info.
also the earlest mander in my tree is William mander whom married Rachel Perry based in
Rickmansworth hertfordshire 1795