Author Topic: Manders Menagerie  (Read 26995 times)

Offline Jeremy Manders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manders Menagerie
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 May 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of this family and have spent some time researching the history.  I have ended up with original posters, rich detail on the family, I even have the claw of the tiger that killed the ring master (which was world news at the time).

When I have time I shall log all this information which will hopefully help you with your research

Offline Jeremy Manders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 May 11 13:26 BST (UK) »
RickyManders - Joseph Manders was by G grandad - that's cool

Offline RickyManders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 06:29 BST (UK) »
RickyManders - Joseph Manders was by G grandad - that's cool

If anyone is interested, I can give you access to my tree on Ancestry.com, so that we can correlate what we have so far.

Just email me with my name at hotmail.com

Offline John2012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 July 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
albert manders annie manders nee  weston were my grand parents my mother was there oldest daughter nancy ivy ormrod nee manders there was two daughters and two sons albert  and billy  and another daughter dorothy aunt dolly we used to call her i was seven years old when grandad died we were wintering at water orton near coleshill bham when he died in 1940 his sister helen died the same year they are both buried at water orton church along with uncle joe who died at fazeley nr tamworth in 1946 i was there i was thirteen at the time grandma mum uncles albert and billy and aunt dolly are all buried in bedworth cemetary  i have slight memories of grandad. joe i knew a little better i grew up with them all  albert and billy were very clever with electrics i watched them build a one channel tv when they first came out in the early fifties grandma uncle albert died same year  1955 billy 1990s dolly 70s mam 1990 albert joe and helen never married my great grandfather james was killed by a train in portsmouth station

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 03 July 11 08:47 BST (UK) »
john 2012
 I know that fair people & canal boatmen hardly ever cross over or mixed but the areas that you mention Coleshill,Frazeley & Bedworth are all connected to the Manders part of my tree with buriels in Bedworth & Manchester these where all connected with canal boatmen but i know that there are large gaps in the Mander tree we have been unable to trace.Do you think that poss there could have been a union between the two occupations??
 Jeannette

Offline John2012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 July 11 15:51 BST (UK) »
jeanette .to my knowledge there was no connection with canal boatmen, there was a suggestion that grandma annie manders nee weston , had romany ties not sure if its true or not. i spent a lot of  time with grandma, she never mentioned anything about it . though she was into reading palms and tea leaves that i can vouch for. she was a strong willed woman she had to be it was a very hard life. they were a family that kept pretty much to themselves.they sold the menagerie in 1936 iwas 3-4 years old,i have a few memories of it,i was nearly scalped by lioness my uncle albert pulled me out of the way, mum said john if you had been 3 inches taller you would have lost the top of your head.     best regards  john

Offline traderkadis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 July 11 20:50 BST (UK) »
There are still Manders traveling with show people They were a very large family
I knew one section of them in the 60s when they camped at WEston Ryhn Shropshire.
Visit a fair ground and ask the boss he may be able to help you

Offline nannyscott

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 April 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
Greetings John!
I am the great granddaughter of Nellie (Weston) Higgs, your great-grandmother Annie's sister.  Do you remember your mother's cousin Phyllis Taylor?  She is my grandmother.  My grandmother often told stories of the travelling menagerie and told we children stories of Captain Lambetti and Aunty Annie. It all sounded so wonderful and exotic!  She used to tell us that Annie was a spider lady.  I have never been able to verify this and would love to know if this tale is true! 
My grandmother spoke fondly of her cousin Ivy and her visits.
Best to you and yours,
Sincerely,
Kristal Scott
1959-2014

Offline Jenner1904

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 October 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
My Pa was William Walter Manders
Nana Annie nee Gallagher Manders