Author Topic: Laurence Smith, Shetland  (Read 26499 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Laurence Smith, Shetland
« on: Friday 24 December 04 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Laurence Smith b. Sept. 12, 1812 at Longhouill, Sandwick, d. Jan, 1857 while ling fishing.  Memorial stone at Maywick.

My question is - would there have been a newspaper in 1857 that might have news of this family tragedy.  This man is my G.G. Grandfather - his son, also a Laurence emigrated to Canada - hv Cdn. family information. 

Thx all and Merry Christmas to all. :)  Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Gordon Beaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Laurence Smith, Shetland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 January 05 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also researching the smith family from shetland, i am looking for thomas smith who married elizabeth watson, thomas's father was james smith. please give details of smith's you are researching.
many thanks,
gordon.
Beaney & Variants (Worldwide).<br />Battams & Variants (Worldwide).<br />Stone of Bedfordshire & Buckinghamshire.<br />Smith of shetland.<br />Moffatt of London.<br />Tierney of London & Ireland.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 February 05 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gordon:

Sorry for delay in answering your post - a family illness :(, etc.  Laurence Smith 1 was born to:

James Smith b. c. 1775 m. Ursula Morrison 1804 - James is possibly son of a Nichol Smith who married a Catherine Sinclair (no documentation).  We do have a Thomas Smith, but not married to a Watson.  Have you checked out the Bayanne site??  It has excellent info for the Shetland Isle.  My group seem to be from Houss and Maywick. :D

Where in Shetland did your group come from?

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 December 05 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi All:

Another year has almost passed.  Want to wish all a Merry Christmas 2005 and may 2006 see your brick walls falling down.

Re Houss - in Shetland.   ::)It is actually Burra, apparently Houss means that - "house".  Perhaps someone more knowledgable on Shetland terminology could explain this.  Not sure if it was just added to births meaning the people were born in a house or what?

I found the Laurenson's in South Africa and am now looking for an Agnes or George who may have gone to New Zealand.  best to all

Lauraine :D

Offline Gordon Beaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauraine, My Smith family came from Mid Yell, Shetland, James Smith was born about 1826, His wife was Mary Ann, His son was Thomas Smith born 1845. There was also another son but I do not have details on him yet. James & Thomas were Seaman.

Regards,

Gordon.
Beaney & Variants (Worldwide).<br />Battams & Variants (Worldwide).<br />Stone of Bedfordshire & Buckinghamshire.<br />Smith of shetland.<br />Moffatt of London.<br />Tierney of London & Ireland.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 06 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon:

I received a list from SCT-SHETLAND-L@rootsweb.com of Shetland Strays for the 1861 census.  On it was a "James Smith b. abt 1843, Yell, Shetland, Ordinary Seaman."  Other surnames on this posted list were Anderson, Henderson, Leask, Petrie, & Williamson.

As my Laurence Smith's father was called James Smith, it is possible the two families are connected in some way.  Did you join in the Shetland DNA Project?

Lauraine

Offline Gordon Beaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 06 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, No I have not heard about the DNA Project, Please tell me more.

Regards,

Gordon.

Offline olinda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 January 06 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Can't be of any help with your "Smith" research but your original enquiry was about newspapers. My own reseach was into the "Urquharts" of Yell and Fetlar and in seeking info regarding a shipping disaster I found it recorded in the Shetland Times published in Kirkwall. This was in 1880 but I believe it was established well before then.
I obtained information from the Shetland FHS who were most helpful-so much so that I became a member !!.
Urquhart (Orkney, Shetland, Liverpool, Cardiff)
Nippers (Wlltshire,Bristol,Glamorgan)
Catford (Bristol, Cardiff)
Sims (Worcester, Glamorgan)
Rose (Devon Cardiff)
Westlake (Devon, Cardiff)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 January 06 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  Am aware of the Shetland FHS.  Will send them an enquiry.  Have a lot of information on Laurence Smith including a photo of his gravestone on the lonely shore at Maywick - apparently erected by two of his sons (one would be my G. Grandfather).  Just thought it would be apt to find a newspaper write up of this family death at sea.

Thank you.  Lauraine