Author Topic: Ashyards Middlebie  (Read 3328 times)

Offline peaches13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ashyards Middlebie
« on: Thursday 18 October 07 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi There

My 3x GGrand uncle James Scott apparently lived at 13 Ashyards Middlebie where he had 230 acres and a 5 room dwelling with 1 domestic servant and 2x ploughmen, according to the 1861 census.
Can anyone please tell me where this place is, are there any photos of this place and how would I find out about this family and what was farmed there.
I live on the East Coast of Tasmania so nipping down to the local FHS is a bit out of the way.
Cheers jeanie

??? ??? ???

Sorry my email address is not working
HODDOM: Scott, Cunningham, Calvert
LOCHMABEN/CAERLAVEROCK:Tweedie, LOCHMABEN:Learmont, Telfer, Pattie, Scott, Walker, Jamieson
KIRKCUDBRIGH:Beattie, Bryden, McLauchlen,      Douglas
DUMFRIES:Carruthers, Gibson, Bell
AYRSHIRE:Bryden, Murdoch
KIRKMAHOE:Corbet,
ORKNEY:Chalmers/Chambers, Tait,
MOFFAT:Halliday
DALBEATTIE:Fergusson,

SUSSEX: West,
TYNEMOUTH:Chambers/Chalmers, Liddell, Hallowell,
HULL/NORTHUMBERLAND:Wouldhave, Whatley, Arkell, Hallowell

Offline hawickborn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hawick before the "Horse"
    • View Profile
Re: Ashyards Middlebie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi peaches13,
Middlebie is in Dumfriesshire, near Lockerbie in the Scottish Borders.
Sorry I haven't come across "Ashyards" yet
This is a new part of my research so far. As I find out more about Middlebie, I can share with you. Currently ploughing my way through an obscure statistics health report from 1880s on the sanitary conditions in the Border counties. It's a weird thing I suppose, but it's so fascinating!Also waiting for MI booklet on the area. I won't be back to Scotland until end of summer next year.
 My fathers Gt-grandfather on his mums side was John Nelson of Old Waterbeck at Middlebie. Agricultural labourer. I have this pair right back to 1841 in the same place.
John was married to a Jane Brown who was born in Middlebie. Jane was the illegitimate issue of a Marion Bell of Middlebie and a John Brown of the Parish of Dryfesdale. Janes' parents never married.
I noticed you had Bell in your list, they seem to be quite prominent in that area. I have Marion Bells, parental info somewhere, but am concentrating on John right now.
Hope this helps, I'm just starting out, but willing to share !
Regards,
Sandra.
BURNS,Hawick.
WALKER, Ednam/Hawick.
NELSON, Hawick/Middlebie.
MIDDLEMISS, Yetholm/Ednam.
FURNESS, Denholm.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi peaches it's to the south east of Middlebie, just NE of Eaglesfield. if you go to:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/

and put Middlebie in the Get-a-map section you'll be able to find it.

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline peaches13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget & Hawickborn

Much appreciated

After many hours searching through scotlands people I managed to get James' will, this led to more children and marriages, and after finding the death cert finally got the names of my 4x GGrandparents, which sent me on a roller coaster ride of names of children for this couple, in turn making it possible to fill in the pieces for my 2x GGrand aunt Jannet Calvert Scott, as I only had a first name & middle letter for her  which turned out to be the surname of her grandmother.

With all these new names comes another puzzle to break now, It seems that James had a brother Irving Carlyle Scott who died before his sister was born, also called Irving Carlyle Scott, James named a daughter Irvine Carlyle Scott, & his sister named one of her sons Irving Dunlop. So where does the name Irving Carlyle come from....

I think i'm at the stage where records are extremely hard to get especially for Middlebie. Its taken me 12 months just to find these few names, finding the simple place name of Ashyards amongst the census' has been a godsend, one brick wall down, another up.

Thanks again
Cheers Jeanie
LOCHMABEN/CAERLAVEROCK:Tweedie, LOCHMABEN:Learmont, Telfer, Pattie, Scott, Walker, Jamieson

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 07 20:50 GMT (UK) »
You might try this link:
http://www.fish4.co.uk/iad/homes/advert?adId=15400025
which looks like the right place, or at least the barn.
will try to post the pic
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline peaches13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 02:41 GMT (UK) »

thanks Julieann1
Much appreciated.

Peaches13 :)

Offline nenepops

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Just been reading about Ashyards on here. Ann Patterson (husbands family) died at Ashyards in 1841. She was married to Martin Irving!!

Offline djscott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 September 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Jeanie,
I just stumbled across your posting from several years ago about James Scott, my 3rd great uncle.  He the brother of my 2nd great grandfather, George Scott, who emigrated to Ontario, Canada in 1857 with his wife and children. James and George came from a family of 11 children.  The youngest were both named Irving Carlyle, a boy who died at 6 months in 1808, and then a girl who died at 7 years old on July 17, 1816. As far as I know, James and his wife Jane Clow had 4 children.  Their eldest child, a girl, was born later in 1816 and was named Irving Carlyle almost certainly after her recently deceased aunt. Did I get that right?  I have lots of information about George Scott if you are interested.
Debbie Scott