Author Topic: bervie fishing folk - ritchie/mowatt  (Read 75691 times)

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bervie fishing folk - ritchie/mowatt
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Icey: I have sent you a couple of PMs re:James McBay and we need to make contact.

AliMc: I am very interested in Your Robert McBay/McBey's as I have several Robert's who appear in my research of this line that I am not able to establish their parents,mainly fishermen/RNLI/coastguards/Merchant Navy in Kincardineshire and migrating down to Sunderland/Newcastle and the north east coast of England.
My McBay/Bey's originate from Broadhyth/Rathven,Bannfshire,Scotland back in the early 1700s and may have returned from Ireland.
Mike
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline AliMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
Just to make things more complicated another cousin has done some research and says that Robert McBey (postal worker) can't have been our grt grt grandfather because where he lived at the 1871 census was too far away from where Helen Findlater lived with her son Robert McBey Findlater,our grt grandfather (reputed father RMc postman)and she may have just picked a name out of the air!! I am not so sure but am stuck in Bristol too far away to see for myself.Oh,and my Grandfather ,Robert McBey married a Mearns

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have 17 Roberts in my tree,4 Mearns and no Findlater.
The three you mention,are you able to tell me where and when they were born? This may help me to establish some connections, Like you, I live in Surrey and find it difficult to do the research on original documents, but I have several connections in Scotland through Genes Reunited to which I also subscribe to. All the McBay/Bey's around the Johnshaven area I believe are connected. The Blues(and name variations) and McBay's were very prominent around the parish of Benholm and St.Cyrus from the mid 1700's :)

Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 21 May 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynda,
I have a Robert b 17 Oct 1842 Johnshaven,Kinc.,bapt.6 Dec 1842 Benholm,Kinc.Gros ref. 253/0030 0085, Ftr.Alexander McBay/Bey marr,23 Mar 1833 Kinc, Elizabeth Mearns and had a least 8 children.
I do not have any further info on Robert and is my 1c4r.
Could this be a connection???
I look forward to hearing from you.
Mike

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 21 May 09 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi There,
Just got your message and will have to look at my tree to confirm who is who.  I beleive it is possibly my McRobbs that have the connection :D
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 06 August 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
I'm just about getting the hang of this Rootschat Forum.
This thread seems to be fairly active so I'll post my query here as well as elsewhere.
I'm researching the FREEMANs of GOURDON & JOHNSHAVEN

Here is my question:
Alexander FREEMAN b. 1691 baptised BERVIE 30:8:1691. 
Between 1713 and 1728 he fathered six children.
Bervie OPR lists him as FISHER in GOURDON. 
The Clerk who registered the Bervie baptisms in this period never once recorded the name of the mother.
Alexander's children:
Alexander  b. 5th Sept 1713
John  b. 16th Sept 1716
Margaret b. 1st July 1718
Robert  b. 12th Feb 1721
William  b. 12th June 1726
James  b. 8th June 1728 = Margaret ALLAN, 1757
James is my ancestor.

Searching for a marriage in Scotlandspeople from Kinneff to St Cyrus shows only one:
Alexander m. Elspet CORMAK in Kinneff & Caterline in 1725
date if correct is far too late for all but the last child born 1728.

Can anyone  cast any new light on this.

Sandy P.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Rory Calhoun

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm a Mowat(t) who has just joined RootsChat.com and I see that there have been a few queries regarding the Mowat family line...."James Mowat & Christian Lindsay." who married 3 March 1731 in Kinneff. James was my great, great, great, great, great, great garndfather and with a little help from Alex and Donovan Mowatt I have a good family tree made up. It may answer some questions about the twins Andrew & Robert? If anyone is interested, I can send it on?
Andy M.

Offline Murron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 07 June 12 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Foggyman.  I now have the details of your Mowatt line (spelled Mouat in the earlier generations).

John Mouat  married 12 Jan 1801 Bervie, Isabel Grieve.

John Mouat  b. 13 Sep 1816 Bervie. Married 21 Oct 1849 Bervie, Helen Aberdeen. He died 16 May 1894.

Munro Mowatt b. about 1849. Married 4 Oct 1876 Arbroath, Margaret Smith. He died 2 Feb 1924 at Mowatt's Lane, Gourdon aged 75.

Margaret Criggie Mowatt b. 1884 Bervie.

You mentioned that you were trying to find the siblings of your McBay family. There are so many that if you send me your email address by private message I can then scan them and send the results.  Only if you want to do this of course.

Regards.