Author Topic: bervie fishing folk - ritchie/mowatt  (Read 75569 times)

Offline ripriprip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bervie fishing folk - ritchie/mowatt
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 September 08 06:52 BST (UK) »
To JoAnne Brooks,

Donovan sent me the link to your post here.
I was born in Toronto I hear you live in Ontario. I live in BC now. My Mowat family lives around Toronto still.

Your Mowat family - Lets get right to James Mowat born 1826 to the parents of
James Mowat b. 1804, and Margaret Duncan.

James born 1804 to the parents of John Mowat b. 1763, and Isabella Grieve.

John Mowat was born to James Mowat and Christian Donaldson.

John Mowat & Christian Donaldson's children are:
Christian Mowat
1760 – 

James Mowat
1761 – 

John Mowat
1763 – 

Margaret Mowat
1766 – 

Jean Mowat
1766 – 

Isabel Mowat
1769 – 

Elspet Mowat
1772 – 

Elisabeth Mowat
1774 – 

Ann Mowat
1777 – 

Mary Mowat
1780 – 1864

(there may be more)

I am descendant from John's older brother- James, born 1761, he married Ann Davidson, they had about 8 kids or so. I follow the line of  their son David, b. 1799, he married Ann Colvine. They had about 4 boys (all I could find so far)
Of them, I stem from David born 1826 who married Elizabeth (nee Taylor) Thomson. They had about 11 kids..

I could go on... but thats enough for an introduction. I will be in Ontario Oct1st 2008 for a week. Anyway, contact me

Tammy
(*)

Do you have any old photos to share? Also I would like to get more info on your line for sure.. !!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline DGM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: bervie fishing folk - mouat/mowatt
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 September 08 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I recently had someone give me a lot of info on a branch of my family which I didnt have. I never queried it until I was updating my gedcom this week. In his tree he has a Robert Mowat 1801 as the twin brother of Andrew Mowat born to James Mowat 1761 and Anne Davidson. He then has a James Mouat 1830 as a son of Jane and Robert. He isn't in the 1851 census. He should be about 21 and unmarried. He marries a Jane Jolly 27 Jan 1854.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

I cant find any other sources that might link him to Robert and Jane.

Can anyone Help?

Thanks
Donovan

Offline DGM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 September 08 15:52 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add that Jean and Jane are the same. The usual Scottish problem with dialect and spelling!!!!!

Offline ripriprip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 September 08 17:06 BST (UK) »
Donovan, I have to go to work quick, but... I do have the birth record for the twins.. I will send it to your new email address that handles large files... *  ;)

The problem I see, in my tree is that I have Andrew, born 1801 married to Penuel Beatie - but I don't have any children listed for them yet.

for his twin brother Robert, I have Robert being married to Jean A Gordon. Children I have for them are:
Andrew 1826,
Jane 1828 &
May 1839.

When I get home from work today, I will check my sources for these relationships. For Robert's marriage, I have noted - Scotlandspeople.gov.uk Gros Data 254/ 0020 0141.

I do have a Jolly in my ONLINE tree...
I do have a Margaret Jolly Mowat in my online tree... Born to Edward Farquharson Mowat and Catherine Ritchie in 1885.
(I have other Jolly's too, but not online, in a file I will have to look at)

ANYWAY -This James, born to Robert and Jean, I do have him on a file in my computer, that Ken sent me. But I do not have any recorded sources of my own for him. I will look for some when I get home.

Ken's file says James was born in abt 1831, married to Jane Jolly, marriage date: 27 Jan 1854
again, I don't have sources of my own, I got the info from Ken.

Ken's file also has other children for Robert b. 1801 and Jean Gordon. he has:
Andrew
Jane
James
Ann
Robert
Mary
and
May
(in birth order)

Have fun going thru this, chat later
Tammy

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 September 08 17:38 BST (UK) »
Excuse me for butting in to this thread.  According to the IGI and the 1851 Census of Bervie, Robert and Jane Gordon's family were: 

Andrew 1826
Jane 1828
Ann 1834
Robert 1837
May 1839
Mary 1842
William 1848

James is missing but if he is the same person who married Jane Jolly at Montrose in 1854 he would fit in between Jane and Ann.
The ScotlandsPeople index of deaths shows a James Mouat who died at Montrose in 1917 aged 88. As his parents names would be given in the certificate this would prove whether he was the son of Robert and Jane.  Robert and his brother Andrew were twins born 1801 their parents being James Mowatt and Ann Davidson.
I found 2 James Mowatts in the 1851 census, one aged 21 and one aged 24. I will get back to you once I have scrolled through the index and found which County and Parish they were in at the time.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DGM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 September 08 17:58 BST (UK) »
The death date I have is also 1917 but I don't any references. It is quite possible that he wasn't at home with the family during the 1851 census as he would have been 21 already and most probably living elsewhere. So this is good news if his death certificate does have Jane and Robert as the parents.

Many thanks
Donovan

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 September 08 18:52 BST (UK) »
I think that I may have found James Mowat (note the spelling) in the 1851 Bervie Census aged 22.  You would need to check the actual Census to confirm.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ripriprip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 September 08 05:25 BST (UK) »
Yes it is confirmed, James in question here is the son of James Mowat and Jean Gordon. See attached

Offline ripriprip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 September 08 05:34 BST (UK) »
Wait.. I am mixed up now.

Death record says that James Mowatt's parents are James Mowat and Jean Gordon...
Not Robert Mowatt, and Jane Gordon.. I better look at my tree... :(

Well my tree says that Robert Mowat and Jean Gordon are his parents... perhaps son William, guessed at his grandfather's name, since he died so long ago. OR since I can't find his birth record (so far) on scotlandspeople... do we assume that these really are his parents...

Up for debate I guess!!