Author Topic: Bernard Finnegan - Barhill Poorhouse  (Read 3969 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard Finnegan - Barhill Poorhouse
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Some of the Finnigans from Carrickmacross who are listed in this thread are my ancestral family.

They came from Monaghan to Glasgow circa 1845.
To make things worse, BOTH of my ggg grandparents (who arrived as a married couple ) were Finnigans.
Both had other family who also came to Glasgow .
Every time I thought I'd located a sibling for one, it turned out to be a sibling of the other. !

Copied and pasted:
Parents Bernard Finnigan and Mary Martin

Patrick Finnigan 03 Apr 1863 Clyde, Glasgow

This Bernard was the brother of my ggg grandmother.
He died in 1868
His sister also married the brother of Mary Martin

The Martins were also from Carrickmacross

The witnesses to Bernard and Mary's 1859 marriage were :Pat Finnigan and Ann Ward.

Some Finnigan marriages in Glasgow relate to other siblings of my ggg grandparents

I have done a mass of frustrating research into the Monaghan Finnigans and, I know that there were other, wider members in the same location whom I have never been able to identify.

This info comes from death records etc.
Informants were "cousins" of the same/ similar address, but, as the names are always Finnigan, I have no idea if they are maternal or paternal cousins

At 1841 there were very few Finnigans in Glasgow
By 1851, the area around High Street was full of them !!

EDIT:
Forgot to mention ..
My ggg grandfather was born in Monaghan circa 1820.
His mother's maiden name was WARD!

My ggg grandmother's mother? Her  married name of course was Finnigan but her maiden name was Keelan
She died in Glasgow.
Her mother's maiden name was also.. FINNIGAN

Offline Finnegan family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for info- It is soo frustrating! I haven't found any in Glasgow yet.  My  grandmother was born in Durham England, 1893 immigrated to U.S. in 1914 and they settled in Montana...her dad James McGinn was born in Carrickmacross in 1866, her mom was Susan Duffy whose parent were from Cavan, Ireland. My grandfather Peter Finnegan's dad was Patrick J 1869 born in Co. Monaghan, Ie- his dad another Patrick born 1828 also in Carrickmacross then we think his dad was James FINIGAN born in 1809 in Co. Monagham and his wife was a McGuinness!- -- with so many like names, then changing the spelling it is definitely frustrating.

Then my ggPatrick also married a McGinn! Actually I think most of the Finnegans' (no matter how you spell it) from the Carrickmacross area are related.

I will keep you posted with any new findings! Thanks

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my Finnigans appear on BDMs and census returns with almost every variant spelling of the name but, mine do seem to have arrived during the potato famine in the 1840's

And..... Bernard Finnigan who married Mary Martin?
I cannot find any marriage but, after Bernard died in 1868, Mary had a new husband.
He was also born in Ireland circa 1828 and seems to be a widower but, wait for it.........

His name was Bernard McGuinness !
He was the informant to Mary's death which confirmed that she was married twice.

Offline Finnegan family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
That's hillarious! Was the McGuinness from County Monaghan? I haven't paid to go on any geneology sites yet, what I've found has mostly been from free sites, like familysearch.org. But I think i'm ready to, just so i can get some of this figured out...

Where do you live?  I'm in Idaho, my dad's parents immigrated to Deer Lodge, Montana around 1912 and worked in the copper mines... There are about 10-15 other Finnegans' with other spellings that lived and worked there in the early 1900's.  You mite check to see if any are related to you---

thanks for your info-