Author Topic: help with medal cards  (Read 3754 times)

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
help with medal cards
« on: Friday 19 October 07 21:27 BST (UK) »
i have downloaded a medal card and there are 6 in all on the pdf document.  will each of these be for a different person (all with the same name)  or will there be more than one card for a person?. 

sara

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: help with medal cards
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 07 23:17 BST (UK) »
Sara

The MICs are generally for different people, though there are ocassions when a person has more than one medal card, ie perhaps if the person was wounded.

Hopefully, you know what unit/regiment your Sidney was with? ::)
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 07 20:22 BST (UK) »
hi, thanks , yes i do have a regiment number for him as i have a medal with an inscription on the rim.  I will assume that just the one medal car is his, although i do have a newspaper article about him which says he was wounded in the war.

thanx for the info

sara

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 07 11:57 BST (UK) »
If wounded he probably got a pension. That record MIGHT be on the Ancestry site and - if there - would ususally give a fair bit of info. Might be a free trial offer on Ancestry so worth a look.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 07 11:22 GMT (UK) »
thank bernard,

i did find a pension record on ancestry, it has so much info on it, it was like finding gold!! ;D

thank you
sara

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 07 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Yippee! A success story.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/