Author Topic: James Jackson & Margaret Main, Langholm - help requested  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Jackie Book

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Jackson & Margaret Main, Langholm - help requested
« on: Saturday 20 October 07 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have found a baptism for William Jackson in 1804 Langolm with the above parents but cannot find a marriage between them or any other
children, before or after 1804. William's birth was listed as legal as opposed to natural, so I assume it was a legitimate birth.

James Jackson was listed as a mason in Langholm

That is all Ihave to go on. Very grateful for any tips on where to search next

Thanks Jackie

DAWSON (Durham), JACKSON (Newcastle & Byers Green) GANDER (Sussex - Chiddingly, Willingdon),
GAFFNEY (Southwark), Folkard (Lowestoft)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Jackson & Margaret Main, Langholm - help requested
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 07 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Jackie

A warm welcome to Rootschat  :)

I've just checked Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but, as you say there is only William with that particular set of parents in Langholm or in Dumfriesshire over a big timescale.

What I did see was a James Jackson and Isobel Parks having children in Langholm in the 1790s. I have no proof but maybe Isobel died and James married Margaret. Alternatively it could be two James Jacksons  :-\

They might well have married 'by declaration' - this was quite legal. It just meant that they were not married by a C of Scotland minister and hence not in the OPR records.

Have you checked for MIs in Langholm?

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jackie Book

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 07 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,

thanks for your reply.
Good to know I didn't miss anything on Scotlandspeople.

Could you tell me what MI is please.

Jackie :)
DAWSON (Durham), JACKSON (Newcastle & Byers Green) GANDER (Sussex - Chiddingly, Willingdon),

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 07 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Sorry - MI is Monumental Inscription. Although some notes of burials survive, it's only real way of checking for deaths pre-1855  but only if they had a headstone unfortunately :(

I'm sure someone on here has access to them. I'll check. I only have the ones for Kirkcudbrightshire  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Jackie Book

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
Here we are:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,170392.0.html

If you start a new topic with that heading, referring to Mo in it, she is likely to see it and check  :)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 07 09:52 BST (UK) »
I presume that you've found a baptism for a James, Langholm, 24 June 1759. Parents William Jackson and Janet Halliwool. it's the only one with that name 1740 to 1786.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 07 10:35 BST (UK) »
..and three possibles for Margaret in Langholm:

5 December 1755 to Robert Main and Janet Park - just within the childbearing range

20 Aug 1769 to Thomas Main and Agness Riddel

31 August 1782 to James Main and Margaret Nicol

Gadget

Offline LornaHen

• RootsChat Extra
  • A step backwards is great progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 05:14 BST (UK) »
..and three possibles for Margaret in Langholm:

5 December 1755 to Robert Main and Janet Park - just within the childbearing range

20 Aug 1769 to Thomas Main and Agness Riddel

31 August 1782 to James Main and Margaret Nicol

Gadget
Some years on but I've just found this thread, because of a potential interest in the family of James MAIN and Margaret NICOL from a reasonably sizeable DNA match.
Whether or not the DNA comes down to my match from this family has yet to be proven, or even that his Janet MAIN* is the daughter of James MAIN and Margaret NICOL.
But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

An earlier, much much smaller, match,  led to the family of Robert MAIN and Janet PARK as possibly being responsible for our shared DNA, so both families are on my radar.

So I'm interested in hearing from any descendants of Robert or James MAIN who have ventured into DNA testing for genealogy.
DNA tests from all three main companies used for genealogical DNA testing can be compared on GEDmatch.com - great site, with great tools, particularly essential if you tested at Ancestry as they don't offer any tools to work with the dna data and prove the trees.

* Janet MAIN married William PARK in Stanwix where an extract from Cumberland marriages shows:
William PARKE p. Hawick, North Britain, & Janet MAIN by Lic.
I don't have easy access to any further details that the licence may add to the sum of knowledge.

They had two children baptized in Ewes (John born Carretrigg, James born Bankend) and the rest up in Boleskine, Inverness-shire.
William was a shepherd, who appears to have died prior to 1841.
One son, David Scott PARK ended up back in Hawick as a grocer and draper.
Janet shows up in the 1841 census in Inverness-shire as born Scotland, so possibly Dumfriess, although that could be anywhere other than Inverness!
I don't know of any daughters in the family, but certainly the second son was named James, which is circumstantial evidence towards James and Margaret (NICOL) MAIN as her parents :)

Any interest?

Lorna

SCT: Henderson, Wight, Sinton, Fairbairn, Bain, Manson, Davidson, Runciman, Familton
ENG: Rowe, King, Barter, Andrews, Turnbull, Baty, Graham
NZ: Henderson, Andrews, Rowe, Turnbull
http://LornaHen.com
http://dnasurnames.info/