Author Topic: Duvauchelle  (Read 6808 times)

Offline slimbridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duvauchelle
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 07 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Thank you for a succinct summary of the movements of the brothers Duvauchelle. Could I ask you, please, for any additional information you have on their departure from Akaroa.
Mary

Offline kawika

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 09:56 BST (UK) »
My name is Kawika Paul Lionanui Duvauchelle, born on the island of Molokai, Hawaii (1974).  My father is Lyle Eugene Kaukini Duvauchelle, born on the island of Molokai, Hawaii (1941).  My grandfather is Eugene Kekaakalauniu Duvauchelle, born on the island of Molokai, Hawaii.  My great-grandfather is Edward Kekuhiiaokamehamehaikaanaana Duvauchelle, born on the island of Molokai, Hawaii (1869).  My great-great-grandfather is Edourd Henry Duvauchelle, one of 14 siblings, was born in Rue, France 1819. 3 bothers moved New Zealand (Edourd, Jules and Louis Benjamin). Edourd moved to Maui,Hawaii via a whaling ship where he prospered well and then moved to Molokai and married........

Offline alamar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 10:34 BST (UK) »
Kia ora Kawika. I see you have found our little discussion on the brothers Duvauchelle from last year. The thread was started by Slimbridge and it is her you should probably contact. We were able to help her with the local history, such as it is recorded, because we live in Christchurch and the Duvauchelles settlement is familiar to us. We can possibly help you also but I am uncertain from your posting what exact info is required. Look forward to hearing from you.

Alan
Living in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline kawika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 11:08 BST (UK) »
 I wish to visit New Zealand someday, particularly where my great-great-grandfather had been.  I was doing a search on the web when I came across this forum.  I felt compelled to reply...Hawaiians believed that you don't know who you are unless you know where you came from....

Offline alamar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 11:47 BST (UK) »
If you have access to Google Earth you will find the square shaped bay named after the brothers at the head of the Akaroa Harbour at 43deg 45' 14.00S and 172deg 56' 00.00E. They lived and conducted business in Akaroa at 43deg 48' 21.26S and 172deg 57' 57.28E. Ironically they never lived in the settlement named after them.
Living in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline plumeria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 May 12 13:49 BST (UK) »

Duvauchelle/duvanchelle etc...I am looking for Frederick Duvanchelle...his origins/anything. His daughter, Louise, was b c1835 in nsw Australia. Louise Duvanchelle m Lamont nsw Australia & then Lamonts m Attenboroughs.  Some Lamonts and Attenboroughs had also been in N.Z so I think Fred could have some history there. Could Fred be a bro or son of Edouard, Jules or Louis?
I have found NSW newspaper articles & adds referring to Mr Duvanchelle and government records for J.A Duvauchelle...c1840s.

Offline plumeria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 May 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
From 1912 Launceston Examiner (Tasmansia) p3. my very brief summary of article.....'Edward K Duvanchelle made a famous swim in 1906.' He was fishing at Lahaina when boat overturned. Edward swam back to Molokai.

Jules Augustine Duvanchelle 1841, nsw - land transaction.(Society of Australian Geologists ref NSW.)

I found a Louis Benjamin S Deavauchelle m1815, Somme &  m1816, Chile..
(but I forgot to note where I found this)