Author Topic: Search of Sighthill Cemetery, Glasgow  (Read 60663 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Search of Sighthill Cemetery, Glasgow
« on: Saturday 20 October 07 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
Recently discovered my great grandmother is buried here so in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting, I am going to take a look for her grave.
If anyone else has ancestors that they know are buried there, give me the details and I'll have a look and take photos and MI.

Depending on the response I get, I MIGHT open my search for people that are only possibly buried there.

PLEASE DON'T WASTE TIME POSTING GUESSES FOR THE TIME BEING.  I will not respond.

Dave   
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sighthill Cemetery, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 07 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,

Gee, I'm a bit intimidated by the caps!

Ah well, here goes ...   :)

This is not a guess though I must admit that I do not have proof positive myself.

John LOCHTIE d Stillorgan Reservoir, Dublin 31 Jan 1892, bur 4 Feb 1892 Sighthill Cemetery, Glasgow.

I don't have the grave reference.  I have been told that the gravestone was stolen but that is hearsay.

I am not sure but I suspect he was buried in the same grave as his illegitimate son John LOCHTIE/John KILPATRICK (son of Elizabeth FLETCHER nee KILPATRICK), who was b 9 Nov 1857 (as John KILPATRICK) in Stirling, Stirlingshire and d 20 Nov 1876 (as John LOCHTIE, a seaman apprentice) in Glasgow.

John LOCHTIE (1830-1892) was born in Aberdour, Fife; he married (1858) Margaret PHILP (1827-1907) who was born in the adjacent Dalgety, Fife (she was buried in Dublin).  My children are descended from the ancestors of both John LOCHTIE & Margaret PHILP/PHILIP/PHILLIP who were cousins.

Incidentally LOCHTIE is a very very rare name indeed.  Any LOCHTIE will be connected.

Thanks very much but of course I'll certainly understand if you can't do anything.

Best regards,

JAP

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Search of Sighthill Cemetery, Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
Will have a good look JAP.
I don't mean to frighten anyone off but Sighthill is a massive cemetery and I don't want to go any any wild goose hunt.  (Unless of course someone is looking for the son of Mr and Mrs Wildgoose from Govan. ;)

You must have seen posts in the past where someone will say "Smith? I've got a great uncle called Smith that lived in Glasgow.  Does anybody know him?"  ::) ::)

If I find any Lochties, I'll photograph and write down the MI.

All enquiries welcome.  There just needs to be a sound basis to think that the person and / or rellies are buried there.

Dave   
-------------------

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Search of Sighthill Cemetery, Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 October 07 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again Dave,

Many thanks for your kind words.

You probably won't find any LOCHTIEs (a Fife name which is definitely rare as the proverbial hens' teeth) .  It truly-ruly is an incredibly rare name.  And - incidentally - never, in my experience, confused with the not at all rare Wigtown/Ayr name LOCHRIE.

To me it seems strange that John LOCHTIE (1830-1892) who died in Dublin would have been buried in Sighthill, Glasgow 4 days later.  But I've been assured by relatively recently contacted LOCHTIE rells who are descended from him that there is no question about this ...  Though they don't seem to have more details.

John LOCHTIE & Margaret 'PHILLIPS' (PHILP/PHILIP/PHILLIPS) married in Glasgow in 1858.  They had:
*Roberta Philip (b 1859 in Dunoon; she d 1919 in Dublin).
*John (b Dunoon 1861, d Blythswood Glasgow 1862).
*Andrew Philip (b 1863, Blythswood Glasgow; was in Dundee in 1905; don't know when/where he died).
*Thomas Donaldson (b Blythswood Glasgow 1865; married Bella YOUNGCLAUSE in Midlothian 1905; died Midlothian 1948).
*Helen/Ellen Donaldson (b 1867 in Co Wicklow; d Dublin 1946). 
*William (b Dublin 1870, married Pollie LARKIN, died Dublin 1951).  

Best regards and thanks again,

JAP   

Offline Jimster

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 October 07 23:23 BST (UK) »
I don't mean to frighten anyone off but Sighthill is a massive cemetery and I don't want to go any any wild goose hunt.  (Unless of course someone is looking for the son of Mr and Mrs Wildgoose from Govan. ;)

Hi Dave
It can also be difficult to find a plot even if you have the plot number (because of the complicated layout).
I found out that an ancestor was buried at Sighthill, and managed to get the plot number, I looked for ages without finding anything.
I had to get the Land Services to guide me to the plot (it took about 3 weeks for them to answer my request).

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 October 07 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,
I realise yours is an old post but are you still interested?
I posted about Sighthill yesterday.
Dave
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,263026.msg1483956.html#msg1483956

Hi Dave,
Yes, I'm definitely still interested and I'm thanking my lucky stars the letter about my father's paternal line caught your eye.  I've repeated the names below from my original email.

Section 8 No 103 &104 F

Burial Date, 4 Oct 1871, Sect 103 F
Agnes Crum, Burial No. 90000490, Aged 79

Burial Date, 1 Oct 1887, Sect 104 F
John Crum, Stationer, Burial No. 90000489, Aged 70

Burial Date, 14 Feb 1922, Sect 104 F
Lillias Crum, dau, Burial No. 90000492, Aged 67
---
I haven't managed to find where tomb owner's wife, or 3 of his spinster daughters or his bachelor brother is:

Mrs John Crum (ms Jane MacKenzie) 1824-1866/70
Thomas Crum  1818 - September 1871
---

Where did they bury 'influential' people?  This is John's cousin, she was sister-in-law of Robt Dalglish, Glasgow MP:-

Lillias Crum (Mrs Andrew Stephenson Dalglish) 1794-1867
Andrew Stephenson Dalglish, industrialist, 1793-1858
both died at Hillhead Hse, don't know where they're buried.
--
It goes without saying that I'd rather you not walk passed any other Crum headstone without photographing it  ::)

Thanks a million

Cheers,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 07 02:08 BST (UK) »
Rena and Jap,
They're all on my list.
Can't guarantee when I'll get back to you but it is my intention to go the first day there is some decent weather.
I may do this over several visits over the next couple of weeks.
Dave

-------------------

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Rena and Jap,
They're all on my list.
Can't guarantee when I'll get back to you but it is my intention to go the first day there is some decent weather.
I may do this over several visits over the next couple of weeks.
Dave

Hi Dave,
From TV weather reports, it looks like we may have a long wait for fine weather up there  :-\

I phoned Glasgow Cemeteries in Trongate to find out where Section 8 is.  The telephone receptionist says there's a plan of Sighthill in reception which isn't much good to me but she did give me the phone number of a Mr Wylie, foreman of Sighthill who should know the layout.   Unfortunately mr. nobody is in the office when I phone.  A memory from way back in the early 1950's recalls his little legs had to walk up a hill to the Crum grave but I don't think the name "Sighthill" was given for it being flat  ::)  Somehow I don't think we had this sort of money:- 
<<The land for Sighthill Cemetery was purchased in 1840 by a joint stock company. Of the 46 acres, at first only 12 were enclosed for use burial purposes, and were laid out to the design of the first superintendent, Thomas McKenzie.
The graves of the well-to-do occupy the crown of the hill, and look down on those of the less well off. >>

Here's hoping wind, rain and snow stay away.

Cheers,
Rena (nee Crum)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Weather hasn't been too bad.  A bit cold but not enough to put me off.
However, I put off my visit due to a bereavement in the family.

I still intend going to Sighthill and hopefully in the not too distant future. 
I've not forgotten and still have all your details.

Rena, thanks for the additional info - when you say the plan is "in reception" do you think they mean reception at Sighthill or at Trongate?

Dave

Perhaps you send me a PM with Mr Wylie's phone number.

-------------------