Author Topic: help Elusive Enos Sollis  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: help Elusive Enos Sollis
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 December 04 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.
Here is Joseph and family in 1851, no Enos though which seems a bit odd....

Lenches/Evesham Piece 2044;Fol 246
Sch no 9;Radford
Joseph Sallis,head,m,37,farm labourer,Aston,GLS
Elizabeth Sallis,wife,m,35,Rous Lench,WOR
George Sallis,son,13,labourer,Rous Lench,WOR
Emma Sallis,dau,10,scholar at home,Rous Lench,WOR

And in 1861

RG9-2101/90
Radford in parish of Rouse Lench
Sch 83;Radford
Joseph Salliss,head,m,48,ag lab,Gloucestershire,Ashton
Elizabeth Sallis,wife,m,45,ag lab,Worcestershire, Abbots Lench
Henry Sallis,son,u,19,ag lab,Worcestershire,Radford
Alfred Sallis,son,14,Worcestershire,Radford

RG9-2101/91
Radford in parish of Rouse Lench
Sch 88;Radford

Enoch Salliss,head,m,23, brick lab,Worcestershire,Radford
Eliza Salliss,wife,m,22,agr lab,Worcestershire,Tenbury
William Salliss,son,2,Shropshire,Ludlow
Henry Salliss,son,8m,Worcestershire,Abbotts Morton

Both families in 1861 spelt with an "a" and "fs" but they seem to fit OK otherwise.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 December 04 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Joseph and Elizabeth seem to gain or lose children very easily. They seem to have different children on each census  :-\

Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 December 04 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Mmm, that worried me to be honest but the IGI listings seem to more or less agree with the census names and you can find the kids in 1881 under various forms of the surname (including, I think, Sallace for George from the '51 census).
So, it looks as though they just sent them off to work asap :'(
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline Janed

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 December 04 22:27 GMT (UK) »
This is wonderful help and I am very grateful to all of you. I am sure that Enos, or Enoch as he now seems to be, is the son of Joseph and Elizabeth Sollis or Sallis or Sollace or ????? I just wish I could make the connection. There are a number of decedant of one of the sons of Joseph who became Mormans and went to Salt Lake City who have lots of information on the family but not Enos

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 08:45 GMT (UK) »
You need to request an 1851 look up for Joseph and Elizabeth with Enos age 11 and at least Sarah age 1.....just realised someone has looked in 1851 and they were not there. Maybe Enos was staying with grandparents or something maybe a request for just him would work.

Do you have Enos' marriage certificate to see if that confirms fathers name is Joseph and occupation as labourer. It would at least be one step closer :-))

Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline Janed

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Them marrige certificate confirms Joseph as his father and indeed ststes he is a labourer. Do you think 1841 census might help?
Also there must be other relatives etc where the rest of the children go /stay/ work at times perhaps I may be able to find them

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 December 04 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I think the 1841 census is a great idea.
I thought about it a bit more and looked around the entries I gave above and found the following:

Sch no 007  Mary Philips
Sch no 008 Charles Edginton + family
Sch no 009 Joseph Sallis + family
Sch no 010 John Gough + family

Sch no 079 John Gough + family
Sch no 081 Mary Phillips
Sch no 082 Charles Edginton + family
Sch no 083 Joseph Salliss + family

So, I think there is little doubt that this is the same Joseph and
Elizabeth in both the 1851 and 1861, even though the children vary. Given that Radford is such a tiny place I think it is safe to assume that they are the parents of Enoch/Enos who was living just 5 households away in 1861.
Judging by the IGI entries I would suppose that John Gough (43 in 1861) is most likely brother to Elizabeth Sallis.
I looked around the 1851 for Enos/Enoch with other family (Gough, Sallis etc/Cotton) but could not find him. It is tricky finding space for him too with George born 1838 and Emma 1839. Maybe he was an early sex change candidate? Possibly not :o
Oh, and the IGI has George Sollis dying young so that can't be him in the 1881.
You might try looking for Enos/Enoch in Gloucestershire in 1851 I think as the family seems to have been around Evesham. Phillip  Sollis (45 born Ashton under Hill) is included in the Worcs 51, living at Cow Honeybourne with a large family all born Cow Honeybourne,GLS so there may be some Sollis's in the Gloucester census, depending on how the lines were drawn.
Here's hoping for the 1841 any way :)

Offline Janed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 December 04 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank ypu for your time and efforts. I am torn between feeling relieved that I have not missed an obvious solution and being really disa ppointed that there isn't one!!!

Searching Gloucestershire sound like a good idea and perhaps look for other Gough relations who might be harbouring these children. From something that I read I believe these group of villages were forbidden by a local covenant from ever having a pub-this might have something to do with these strange families.

The thought of sex change had not dawned on me but I had considered that Enos/Enoch was perhaps a second name although why anybody would chose that rather than George or????? escapes me.

Once a gain many thanks