Author Topic: can't find conwil elvet 1841 census - COMPLETED  (Read 8376 times)

Offline manaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can't find conwil elvet 1841 census - COMPLETED
« on: Monday 22 October 07 21:43 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census for Conwil Elvet seems to be missing from ancestry.co.uk.  Either that or it is down under a different name.

My great grandfather was John P Davies of Maesdulais woollen factory, Llanarthney. He had a brother David Evan who became minister at Libanus Church Treforest. When he died DED had an obituary which referred to him as son of noted Baptist preacher Benjamin Davies and great grandson of the Rev Daniel Davies, founder of the Baptist church at Llandyssul.

Benjamin Davies can be traced via the census records to Conwil Elvet, whose Baptist Church is FfynonHenry. He was born in either 1817 or 1818. As well as being the noted Baptist preacher mentioned above Benjamin was a woollen factory manager. He was born in Conwil Elvet in 1817. I also think I have found his marriage record - 1847 carmarthen  XXVI 645 Q3 JAS - married Mary.

There is a Daniel Davies of Capel Penybont Llandyssul who can be traced to the 1841 census and there is also a reoprt of his being excommunicated in the book "Hanes Plwyf Llandyssul" by the Rev W J Davies,1896.

However I can’t find trace of a Benjamin being grandson of the Dan Davies from Capel Penybont – there is no mention of a Benjamin at all in the census records associated with Daniel or with his farm Talgoed.

According to the newspaper clipping he would have been Daniel’s grandson. Daniel could have had more children not mentioned in the census. Looking at the census I can guess at 4 children for Daniel with the earliest being born in 1805. This would have been when Daniel was 39 so there is a distinct possibility that he had other older children, one of whom might have moved to Conwil Elvet where Benjamin was born.

Is anyone able to find out who was Benjamin Davies' father and any link with Daniel Davies of Capel Penybont? Christening records from Ffynonhenry should help.

All help gratefully received and appreciated.

thanks very much in advance.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: can't find conwil elvet 1841 census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 11:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

I think that Conwil Elfed might come under Abernant in 1841.

Oh the joy of trying to trace baptist ancestors! The one thing you won't find is christening records as Baptists don't christen. When the children are considered old enough to make their own decision, they become members of the church and undertake baptism. The age for this varies. For my Pembrokeshire Baptists around this time, normally around 15 or so, but one was already married with children when he became a member.

www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/ConwilElfed/index.html
suggests that there is a register for Ffynonhenry covering the years 1808-1842 at the National Library of Wales. Your profile has no location, so I don't know if you can get there yourself. If you can't, you will need to use a researcher who will do the work for you for a fee. There is a list on their website.
The LDS has filmed the register according to the Genuki page ref. 829068/2 - that might the way to start to see how much info there is in the register.
I've been to the NLW to check the records for a particular Baptist church and it wasn't hugely helpful. The records started off very detailed with every member given a number and when a new member was baptised, it often stated a relationship to a previous member. Then a different person took over the records, and wasn't so thorough. So with a common surname, not all that easy.

This site gives a good account of the Baptist movement
www.shropshirebaptist.org.uk/history.htm

hope some of this helps

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline manaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 11:44 BST (UK) »
many thanks

I'll take a look at abernant tonight. 

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 19:23 BST (UK) »
Manaw i notice in 1851 Benjamin is still in Conwil Elvet with his wife and dau living on a farm Tyrshyme.
Going back to the 1841 census living on the same farm
Tirsime(spelt slightly different but same farm),Conwil Elvet
H0107/1383/7
Benjamin Davies,65,Farmer,Y
Mary Davies,55,Y

Possible parents of your Benjamin?
There is also a will Benjamin Davies died 1847 Conwil Elvet possibly the same man as above.

Another possiblilty is your going on the assumption that Benjamin Davies Grandfather is Daniel Davies as hes down as Great Grandfather in the obit of John  however it could be
on the female side Davies is a popular name.Just an idea.As you cant find a link from Benjamin to Daniel.

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline welsh lady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
And the marriage you found above is Benjamin Davies to Mary Davies in Qtr Sept 1847 Carms Vol 26 Page 645.

This would make sense with what ive said about Daniel Davies being on the Mothers side of the family both sides are Davies.If this is the correct marriage,Id send for the cert so you have more info to go on.

Welsh Lady
Pyett-Suffolk
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 19:49 BST (UK) »
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it spelt Cynwyl Elfed when I was visiting the area. It might help with finding more information.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline manaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 09:15 BST (UK) »
Dear all - this has been extremely helpful.  I had all the right info staring me in the face.  Mary Davies is indeed the grandaughter of Daniel Davies (I think :) ). 

Daniel Davies is from Talgoed in Lanfihangel ar Arth.  He died in 1843 but the 1841 census shows him living with John Davies aged 13 and Ann Davies aged 11.  The 1851 census has David and Elizabeth Davies in residence with Ann (now 21), Daniel (18) and Mary (13) and James (4). This shows MAry to be born in 1828 which is exactly right for the story.

It seems likely to me that David is Daniel's son having inherited Talgoed.  David and Elizabeth were living in Penrhyddfa in the 1841 census.

I ordered the marriage certificate of Benjamin and Mary last week and that should indeed confirm things (hopefully!).

Of course I still now need to find Benjamin in the 1841 census but I am happy to sit back for a day or two to revel in the latest findings.

thanks again

Offline manaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 17:39 BST (UK) »
got the last post wrong - I was on my way out to work and rushed it a bit. mary davies, granddaughter of daniel referred to above was born in 1838 not 1828.  I'll have to wait for the marriage certificate to arrive.

thanks for the help Welsh Lady.

Offline welsh lady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 20:10 BST (UK) »
Let us know what the marriage cert says

Welsh Lady
Pyett-Suffolk
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock