Author Topic: 1841 census lookup for James Anderson  (Read 13762 times)

Offline ceejaye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup for James Anderson
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 29 December 07 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelia

had to do this in 2 parts. I have got this on Daniel Fergusson.

Daniel ( AKA DONALD) FERGUSON
  Male
Event(s):
 Birth:  11 SEP 1806

Christening:  13 SEP 1806   Logierait, Perth, Scotland

Parents:  Father:  ALEXANDER FERGUSON  Mother:  ISABEL CAMPBELLSource Information: Batch No.:  Dates:  Source Call No.:  Type:  Printout Call No.:  Type: C113766  1800 - 1819  1040125   Film  6900669   Film  Sheet: 00Database: 1841 Scotland CensusAnne Fergusson abt 1836  Perthshire, Scotland Dowally  Perthshire  344Catharine Fergusson abt 1819  Scotland Dowally  Perthshire  344Daniel Fergusson abt 1807  Perthshire, Scotland Dowally  Perthshire  344Elizabeth Fergusson abt 1839  Perthshire, Scotland Dowally  Perthshire  344James Fergusson abt 1841  Perthshire, Scotland Dowally  Perthshire  344Jessie Fergusson abt 1838  Perthshire, Scotland Dowally  Perthshire  344

Name:Daniel Fergusson
Estimated birth year:abt 1807
Household:View other family members
1841scotland Perthshire Dowally
Where born:Perthshire, Scotland

Civil parish:Dowally
County:Perthshire
Address:Balenling
Occupation:SchoolmasterParish Number:344ED:2Timaru Herald Deaths Friday April 22 1887 page 2 column 3 Fergusson - On April 20th, At Geraldine, Mr Daniel Fergusson, aged 81 yearsTimaru Herald Friday April 22 1887 page 2 column 4===========================================We regret having to record the death of Mr Daniel Fergusson, one of the oldest residents in the Geraldine and Temuka districts, which event took place at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr W. Young, Geraldine, about 4pm. on Wednesday afternoon last. The deceased was born Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland, in the year 1805, and was consequently 82 years of age at the time of his demise. He was educated at St. Andrews University, and at an early age held the appointment of schoolmaster at various towns in Scotland, following that line of profession for upwards of 40 years. He was also Inspector of the Poor and Sessions Clerk in the parish of Dowally, Scotland. He left the Old Country in 1859 and arrived at Lyttleton in the same year. He was one of the first schoolmasters at Kaiapoi, and after two or three years he returned to Temuka and opened the first public school at George Town, which he held for some considerable time. He was afterwards appointed clerk to the first Geraldine Road Board, which office he held for upwards of 14 years, when he had to relinquish it owing to failing health. Whilst holding this position he was frequently complimented by Mr Olliver, Government Auditor, for the admirable manner in which he kept the board books. On his retirement, the members of the board made him a handsome present in recognition of his services. In early life he composed several poems in English, Scotch, and Gaelic, of more than ordinary merit. It was custom of Her Majesty to give, on her visits to Scotland, prizes for the best distinct poems in Gaelic, and Mr Fergusson was sucessful in securing two first prizes. The deceased died at a ripe old age. His funeral will take place at Temuka to-morrow, as per announcement in another column.Obituary Temuka News===================Daniel Fergusson, on April the 20th at Geraldine, aged 81 years, Sudden DeathA very sudden death occurred at Geraldine on Wednesday afternoon. Mr D Fergusson, who resided with his son in law, Mr Young, At Geraldine, complained in the early part of the day, of internal pains and was attended by Dr Fish, who said he was in a very precarious sate of health. This was about 10am and at 4 pm he died. The deceased was born at Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland in the year 1805 and consequently was 81 years of age at his demise. He was educated at St Andrews University and at an early age held appointments of Schoolmaster at various schools in Scotland, following that line of profession for 40 years.Friday 22 April 1887 Funeral Notice============ The friends of Mr Daniel FERGUSSON are respectfully invited to attend his funeral, which will leave the residence of Mr William Young, Geraldine, for the Temuka Cemetery, on Saturday, at 10.am. William Young, Undertaker.Although he was a qualified school master he came out as a farm labourer,probably in order to qualify as an immigrant when he may also have thought to deduct several years off his ageArrived from Perthshire on the " CRESSWELL " sailed 27 May 1859 arrived 12 September 1859She left from Gravesend in London for Nelson on the  1st June 1859 and arrived in Lyttleton,Canterbury,N.Z. on Monday the12 September 1859.The voyage took 103 days.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 December 07 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ceejaye,

I know Sheila has not read your postings yet, but these are really comprehensive postings. I really enjoyed reading them, all the facts, dates. I will pm Shiela to have a look as soon as possible.

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 December 07 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello John and Christine delighted to hear from you.My husband is the Grt Grt  Grandson of Daniel and Catherine, he is descended fron daughter Annie, they left her in Scotland when they emigrated to New Zealand. Thankyou for all the information, I had some of if, but was pleased you had in formation on Catherines mother. Do you know if this information on Catheribne's mother is correct? I am  in touch with several people in New Zealand,Ross Andrea and Zandria, do you know any of them? I live in the North East of England, but my husbands family still live in Scotland, Lochgelly Fife. We visit numerous times a year and I usually manage some time in Edinburgh at the registry office looking up family information. 
Please stay in touch, if you send me a personal messsage I will give you my e.mail.

Regards Sheila
Edwards Llanfyllin Wales Evans LLanfyllin Wales
Salmon(Lawrence)b.1847 Monaghan Ireland
Salmon(lawrence)1869 Darlington, died Stockton on Tees
Duffey Staffordshire
Morris LLanfyllin, David Edwards 1779 Llanrhaiader Wales

Offline ceejaye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 December 07 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom and Shelia,

John and I would love to hear from you again. I've sent a pm to you, so if it doesnt arrive please let me know.
I'm lucky I come from a close family, so I had lots of info on my side,  but because John's dad died when he was 5 his mum took him to live near her family and he has lost touch with many of his rellies.
We have found several since I put the tree on the net including Zandria. and Ross. Not heard of an Andrea yet.
Zandy gave me a large tree which I merged with mine.
Have since decided that 's not ideal as I have many names that are related by marriage by marriage, butI'm slowly deleting the ones I dont need.
The tree is at about 18,000 people at the moment, so I guess maybe I should devide again and have one tree for my family and one for John's. But these pioneer families in NZ certainly had big families. They all seem to marry brothers and sisters also, so I have a lot of Hoopers married to Bryants etc. Takes a bit to sort it all out but I'm having a lot of fun doing so.
The only info I have on Catherines parents is what Zandria gave me, but I have been in touch with a Susan  in England so i've emailed her to see if she has any other info.

regards
Christine and John

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 21 March 08 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Well i must say this has been all fascinating to read.

My ex husbands grandmother Dorothy (b1915 d 1983) married (c Jan 1961 in Timaru) secondly to Maurice Connelly FERGUSSON (b 1904 and d 1981) in Christchurch.  He was the son of Athol and grandson of Daniel and Catherine FERGUSSON. 

I've  not actively researched this tree because not directly connected but happened tonight upon Zandria Black's genealogy info as mentioned earlier in  this thread but if find it interesting as my ex husband and son (both have Maurice as their middle names after him (my father's name is also Maurice...how handy!).  I met Maurice Connelly FERGUSSON several times before he died and my ex husband and my son (who is nearly 22) both live in Temuka.  I have a photograph if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Sarndra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;