Author Topic: The Wherry Inn, Wyle Cop,  (Read 6139 times)

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
Re: The Wherry Inn, Wyle Cop,
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 01:41 GMT (UK) »
it was next to the salvation army barracks so probably half way betwixt the Lion and Pheasant(49) and the corn merchant(59a)that is now the cornhouse.

s.g.d.

Offline treeworm

• RootsChat Member
  • Barking up the trees
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 15:31 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Thank you Lloydy, s.g.d and Monica

You have given me several leads to work on now, and, best of all, it all seems to confirm my guesses and family rumours.

Family rumours say that one of my gt gran's sisters; Elizabeth or Emma who later ran the pub died in a vat of beer!!!

Now, if someone could just explain how a person could die in a vat of beer!!! :o :o  ;D

Thanking you all VERY VERY much, Gillian
Crossley, Leeds
Skipsey, South Kilvington & Leeds
Frost, York, Leeds
Anslow, Shropshire
Wild, Leeds
Halton, Clapham & Leeds
Hill, Tickhill, Yorkshire
Thomas, Leeds
Edwards, Shropshire
Woolley, Leeds
Mountain- Kirkby Overblow
Camm- Bentham
Pybus- East Cowton

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Well, I've heard of adding a rat to a barrel of cider to improve the flavour... :o

If such a death happened, you can bet much would be made of it in "The Shrewsbury Chronicle".  Maybe the newspaper archives would be another place to look.

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 November 07 14:48 GMT (UK) »

As for Wyle Cop there was the Old Wherry (No.55 - to the right of the old Mansers premises

Thanks Monica.......I had thought it might be that premises. 

This link shows you the current occupants of the Old Mansers premises, listed as 53-54 Wyle Cop
http://www.oakapplefurniture.com/editorials.asp?c=6&d=11
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 November 07 23:39 GMT (UK) »
This link shows you the current occupants of the Old Mansers premises, listed as 53-54 Wyle Cop

I'll bet that's a lot posher than the pub was!

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 November 07 21:47 GMT (UK) »

I drove down the cop tonight and had a brief look at what I think is No 55.......unfortunately, as it was an unplanned journey I didn't have my camera with me.

It's a 3 story white building, and not as posh as next door!!!!!  I'll get a photo for you over the weekend.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline ONEWHITEROSE

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 January 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian, Fanny Edwards (I knew her as Aunty Daisy) was my grandmother's sister.  My husband and I have had an afternoon out in Shrewsbury today and I started to talk about my ancestry. I looked on the internet for references to The Wherry Public House and came across your post on Roots Chat.  Fanny Edward's father was John Thomas Pritchard, born in Shrewsbury.  My grandmother was Alice Maud Mary Pritchard one of sixteen children.  I too have heard the story that Daisy and her husband were at The Wherry and they
brought up a large family there.  I am in touch with two of Daisy's grandchildren, who live in Shropshire.  I can give you more information on the Pritchard family if you are interested.