Author Topic: Kaylie  (Read 19013 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kaylie
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 October 07 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine

No, but we had penny drinks - pop in a glass - or ha'penny ones if we couldn't afford a full glass!  Dandelion & Burdock was my favourite, or American Cream Soda.

Gillg  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 October 07 12:36 GMT (UK) »
And you got money back on the big glass pop bottles, ha'penny or a penny that you could then spend on the penny box. Cream soda, yum! And Tizer the appetizer & of course Vimto.
The boxes that the cheaper sweets came in, we used to use to put inside our old lift-the-lid desks at school to keep the desk insides neat. So every August/September everyone went to the corner shop to ask 'can I have a box for me school books please?' We were a class of 45 baby-boomers, that's a lot of sweet boxes to get through  ;D
Now I think of it, that's 2 examples of recycling before the word was ever heard of. Nothing new under the sun is there?

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deetees

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
We used to know it as kayli and spanish. Predated sherbert fountains. This was in Urmston in the '50's.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Well the sherbet in the yellow plastic tubes was rather fizzy and if too much came up the hollow liquorice tube it really caught your throat.
Sherbet was either eaten with a licked finger or the liquorice root sticks.
It was not fizzy and more like sugar.
Marzipan tea cakes,oooh lovely.
I may have mentioned this in a previous post some time back but can
anyone else remember when Smarties had more colours,but no blue ones,
and  there were different types of chocolate centres with different flavours?
The orange ones were like a chocolate orange flavour,the coffee coloured were like coffee and the pastel colours were milk chocolate and darker colours bitter chocolate.
I remember when pre-fabs were being built nearby and we played house in the foundations,I had a box of Smarties and we used the red and maroon ones as lilstick.I remember us discussing the different flavours .Later the police called at our homes because we had played with the orange fibreglass insulation ,not doing any harm except to ourselves when most of us came all over in a rash.”Have you been playing in the prefabs?”-“No”, scratch,scratch ::)
I hated liquorice all sorts,don’t know why but they depressed me !
I loved the Anglo bubble gum and Spearmint sticks,bright pink about an inch or so wide and seven long, wrapped in white waxed paper and dimpled all over with squares. Gorgeous.They had to be pulled with your teeth or if very cold they would break if slammed on a window sill or something similar.
Once got my tongue stuck down a Crunchie bar,what delicious torture!
I’ll have to have a suck on one of my liquorice roots now.
Viktoria.

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 July 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
Ecky thump - I'd forgotten about liquorice root.  Twigs about six inches long and a quarter-inch thick that you chewed & chewed & chewed.

In Bolton in the early 1940s 'black spanish' was the hard black stuff you had to break with a hammer, quite inedible, but put in a bottle of water, left overnight - in a dark place, then shaken up - it made a great drink.

'Kaylie' was what we called the white effervescent powder in those yellow cardboard cylinders with a liquorice tube.  My Scottish parents knew them as 'sherbet suckers'.   
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 July 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
William Brown and his friends Henry and a Douglas—-“The Outlaws” made copious amounts of liquorice water,from broken bits of black Spanish dissolved in water and kept in the barn where they had their headquarters.
(And where they made fires etc,not to do damage but just to be like outlaws)
They would most probably be in a young offenders’institution today!
I liked  a bar by Rowntrees, “Tiffin”,but it was discontinued.
Hated Fry”s Cream bars,again depressed me because the last time  I bought 
one was in a little shop in Conway whilst on holiday. There was a monumental “domestic “ going on between the proprietors.My parents never rowed and it really upset me.I have never had one since.
My boyfriend used to buy me each week a lovely box of Terry’s chocolates.Two layers,like little drawers,really expensive,they  had no name but a date 1767,the last box he bought me( they too were discontinued) now hold my wedding cake ornaments,only 62 years old!
Don’t eat many sweets now, not diabetic but raised sugar levels ,however a quick suck on a liquorice root stick generally satisfied the craving.
How we digress,but good memories we ought to write down ,if only to stop daft young T.V producers from making dreadful mistakes when making
programmes about WW2,like the other day ,can’t remember the programme but they made wartime biscuits,recipe needed ,wait for it ,8 ounces of butter
————as the butter ration was 2ounces per person per week, I can see(not)
the full ration for a family of four all used up in one go!They have no idea.
Cheerio.
           Viktoria.

Offline Henry7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 July 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
Now that would be a long off-topic diversion - mistakes like that in films and TV programmes.

Even spotted a few in 'Foyle's War' - like a fingerpost pointing the way at a crossroads.  Has nobody told them that everything like that was taken away at the start of the war? 

When we were out on the bikes and got a bit lost, my father always got little me to ask the way - because of my Lanky accent.  Out in the country, his Scottish accent sometimes seemed to arouse a suspicious reluctance to say which lane led where.  Nazi spies?

Harry.   

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 July 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Often in period dramas when a newspaper is being read ,for some reason an old yellowed one will be used,why is it not realised that whilst today a newspaper from say 1939 will be yellowed ,at the time it would be crisp,and white.
People saying O.K and great etc,those terms would certainly not have been
used in the time of the drama.
Henry, you are not by any chance THE Henry are you? ;D
They are all too young! ::)

Viktoria.

Offline Henry7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 July 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
Often in period dramas when a newspaper is being read ,for some reason an old yellowed one will be used,why is it not realised that whilst today a newspaper from say 1939 will be yellowed ,at the time it would be crisp,and white....
Yes, I'd noticed that too, and all kinds of other anachronisms. But we're getting a long way off the subject of kaylie!

Dunno about being THE Henry, Viktoria.  I'm just a year older than Elvis Presley, but in slightly better nick.  I think.

Harry.