Author Topic: GERMANY: Kalthoeber  (Read 7479 times)

Jamesuk1

GERMANY: Kalthoeber
« on: Saturday 11 March 06 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi y'all,

While looking into my family tree, I have discovered that part of my family is German in origin. The name of the German part of the family is Kalthoeber. I am descended from a George John Kalthoeber and an Elizabeth Ann Nye. They married in London (St. Martin in the Fields) on 08-Jun-1806. George's youngest child, Jemima (b. 07-Jun-1824 in St Nicholas, Brighton, Sussex, England), married a James Goble in 1841. On the Marriage certificate, George is deceased. On the 1857 death certificate of Elizabeth Kalthoeber (nee Nye) she was listed as the widow of George Kalthoeber, a cook. Although They were married in London, Nye is a Sussex name, and it is quite possible that she came from Sussex, and moved upto london.

The most famous (and the earliest dated) Kalthoeber relative is Christian Samuel Kalthoeber, a famous bookbinder. Info can be found on the internet about him, but here is the gist of it:

~~~~~~~~
ID: I159
Name: Christian Samuel KALTHOEBER
Given Name: Christian
Surname: Kalthoeber
Sex: M
Birth: 1752 in Berlin
Note: Baptismal register for St Maria Kirche Berlin. Info. from Judy Marks
Death: 5 DEC 1819
MARR: 2 SEP 1782 Saint Martin in the Fields Westminster London to Elizabeth Slater.
Note: Westminster Archive library marriage record. Both of parish. Witnesses Henry Grumming and Mary Slay or May?

Father: Johan Caspar KALTHOEBER
Mother: Maria Elisabeth DEILICKE

KALTHOEBER, Christian Samuel, bookbinder, Duchy Lane, Strand 1782-92; Duke's Court, St. Martin's Lane 1795; 20, Duke's Court 1802H-1805H. B. Prussia. Learned with Baumgarten, prob. partner with him near Duchy Lane c1780. Baumgarten's executor 1781. Poss. worked as journeyman in later years. Still alive 1817 when mentioned by Dibdin. Succ. by Frederick Deschlein 1809H. Signed bindings in British Museum. Referred to by J. C. Huttner as 'incontrovertably the leading binder in the world'. See also Charles Kilthorker. Howe; Ramsden.

The surname of his wife (Slater) is also a Sussex name.

I don't know yet if George John and Christian Samuel are related. this is one of the things I would like to find out. Is there a town in Germany that bears the name kalthoeber or some such variant?

Thanks for your help,

James

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kalthoeber
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 06 12:11 GMT (UK) »
www.a2a.org.uk has one hit, namely:

Workhouse: Kalthoeber, George, Brighton (falsifying records of stone picking)

This is from Oct 1817 quarter sessions held at East Sussex records office, reference QR/753
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: Kalthoeber
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 06 12:57 BST (UK) »
This is a most amazing site, a World Gazetteer:
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/

I couldn't find any KALTHOEBER in Germany, or any HOEB/ER, though.....

AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 06 09:36 BST (UK) »
found this link:

http://www.schmedt-shop.de/en/Content/encyclopedia/Bookbinders-Enc_K.htm

Kalthöber : Deutscher Buchbinder, der nach England auswanderte und die Werkstatt von John Baumgarten, der 1782 starb, übernahm. K. arbeitete für den englischen Hof und wurde von der russischen Zarin nach Petersburg gerufen, nahm aber diese Einladung nicht an.

Translated:

Kalthöber: German book binder, who emigrated to England and took over the workshop of John Baumgarten, who died in 1782. K worked for the English Crown and was called to St Petersburg by the russian Csarin. However he did not accept the invitation.

also this link has a Johan Caspar KALTHOEBER

http://homepages.compuserve.de/Czoelner/Kirchspielsgeschichte/Gimborn-Neustadt/hauptteil_gimborn-neustadt.html

unfortunately (if you can't read it) all in German

and this site has the following Kalthöber:
http://www.fafohelm.de/gesamtlis/index3.htm

Anna Magdalena Eleonora g.1731 - Lieberhausen
Conrad g.1613 - Korbach
Curdt -
Johann Barthold g.1698 - Lieberhausen
Johann Caspar h.1683 - Lieberhausen

Let me know if you need a hand with the German.

D

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Jamesuk1

Germany, Prussia, Berlin Records
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 07 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm returning from a long rest from family history, and wanted to see if anyone can help me with a search for a German family member and his ancestors. This is the info I have.

Please could anyone help, It is a sticking point, and I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks,

James

Name: Christian Samuel KALTHOEBER
Given Name: Christian
Surname: Kalthoeber
Sex: M
Birth: 1752 in Berlin
Note: Baptismal register for St Maria Kirche Berlin. Info. from Judy Marks
Death: 5 DEC 1819
MARR: 2 SEP 1782 Saint Martin in the Fields Westminster London to Elizabeth Slater.
Note: Westminster Archive library marriage record. Both of parish. Witnesses Henry Grumming and Mary Slay or May?

Father: Johan Caspar KALTHOEBER
Mother: Maria Elisabeth DEILICKE

KALTHOEBER, Christian Samuel, bookbinder, Duchy Lane, Strand 1782-92; Duke's Court, St. Martin's Lane 1795; 20, Duke's Court 1802H-1805H. B. Prussia. Learned with Baumgarten, prob. partner with him near Duchy Lane c1780. Baumgarten's executor 1781. Poss. worked as journeyman in later years. Still alive 1817 when mentioned by Dibdin. Succ. by Frederick Deschlein 1809H. Signed bindings in British Museum. Referred to by J. C. Huttner as 'incontrovertably the leading binder in the world'. See also Charles Kilthorker. Howe; Ramsden.

Moderator Comment: topics merged

Jamesuk1

Re: Germany, Prussia, Berlin Records
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 07 19:21 BST (UK) »
Also, does anyone knoe where the name comes from? I've heard it's from Lieberhausen (sorry for the spelling if it's wrong) but I wonder where? It doesn't seem like a common name, perhaps it's specific to a village...

J

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: Germany, Prussia, Berlin Records
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 October 07 07:50 BST (UK) »

Hi James,

on the German Bookbinders list is stated that Christian Samuel took over the business from Baumgarten. He was working for the Royal Court in London and was invited to work for the Csar which he declined.

There is quite a bit on the Internet for Kalthöber.

mz

Jamesuk1

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi people,

Thanks for the help - and or finding my old responses! I've looked through them and they are very helpful.

It looks as though the family started in Korbach and moved to Lieberhausen.

After this, in 1752, Johan Caspar had a son called Christian Samuel (also known as Charles) in Berlin in 1752. Christian became a famous bookbinder. This profesion was taken up by his son William James, and grandson William Napoleon.

How do I verify the Berlin birth record for Christian Samuel, and why would people have migrated from Lieberhousen near Koln to Berlin in the reign of Frederick the Great?

How do I find who Johan Caspar was decended from, and when they emigrated from Lieberhausen to Berlin?

There is also a George Kalthoeber, my direct relative, living in Sussex, but who had married in London. I cannot prove whether he is the son, brother or other relation of Christian's. All the other British born Kalthoebers are direct relations of Christian. How would I proceed with this. I susspect this is a question for the Sussex boards.

Thanks for your continuing help and support.

James

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 November 07 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

have you tried the GEDBAS site,  http://gedbas.genealogy.net/index.jsp
it's a collection of submitted GEDCOMS.

I tried KALTHOEBER and found nothing, but there are 22 KALTHÖBER listed,
between 1585 and 1749 in Lieberhausen and Korbach !

Conrad, Curdt (Kurt), Anna Magdalena (reply #3) are among them.
There is a contact address there, so try sending them an e-mail.

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)