Author Topic: Family Lothian  (Read 5798 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Lothian
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 October 07 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello again jooms,

If the information posted on this thread has been useful to you, that's great!

But, just in case it is stuff you already knew, could you please let us know what information you already hold about Maurice LOTHIAN and about James LOTHIAN of Dublin.  In particular, do you know the approximate birthdate, the birthplace and the parentage of James LOTHIAN of Dublin.

If you do have further information, that would avoid duplication of effort and would also give us a head start as to what we really need to research in order to try to help  :)

Best regards and good luck,

JAP 

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 October 07 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Possible birth for John LOTHIAN (given census age of 45 in 1851 - what is his birthplace there?) is:
John LOTHIAN, bap 28 Feb 1802, Cranston Midlothian, parents John LOTHIAN & Jane TROTTER.

Births to these parents (all Cranston):
John LOTHIAN bap 28 Feb 1802
Peter LOTHIAN bap 15 Jan 1804
James LOTHIAN bap 20 Oct 1805
Elisabeth LOTHIAN bap 4 Oct 1807
David LOTHIAN bap 23 Jul 1809

JAP

Offline jooms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 22:57 GMT (UK) »
many thanks to all for the information . And my apologies - I forgot about this site until now. 

Maurice John Lothian was nephew to Maurice Lothian Solicitor and Procurator Fiscal in midlothian.  MJL was a pioneer/hunter in Matabeleland.

The daughter of Maurice Lothian married into the Blacks family (publishers) and the daughter Margaret Lothian Black married George Coats (Paislet threads) and later became Lady Glentaner.

Offline simonp99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 April 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
There's an entry for Maurice John Lothian in Alumni Cantabrigienses vol iv p.213 which gives his date of birth as 26 Mar 1850.  According to his sister Alice's death certificate, his father John Lothian was deceased at the time of Alice's death (19 Feb 1856)

Offline simonp99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 April 13 20:46 BST (UK) »
After John Lothian's death, his widow Marion nee MacFie married 27 Sep 1865 John McEwen (b. Penicuik 29 Dec 1801 d. Renfrew 14 Nov 1887).

At 15 Carlton Terrace, on the 27th inst., by the Rev. Alexander McEwen, D.D., to Marion, widow of John Lothian, Esq., and daughter of the late John MacFie, Esq. (No cards)
Here's the 1871 census at 23 Park Circus, Glasgow (The Scotsman 29 Sep 1865 page 4)

McEwen Wm. L., Head, Marr, 37 yrs, EIA indian Merchant, Glasgow.
McEwen Douglas, son, 3 yrs, Glasgow.
McEwen Maurice L., son, 2 yrs, Glasgow.
McEwen John, Father, Marr, 70 yrs,  EIA indian Merchant, Howgate, Midlothian.
Lothian M.J, step-bro, Un, 20 yrs, Student of law Cambridge, Edinburgh Leith.
McEwen Al--, step-mother, 52 yrs, Leith Midlothian.

Offline jooms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 April 13 22:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all for the information on the Lothian family. Is there anyone connected with the family?

My great great grandmother was Mary MacLellan (from Ormacleit, Uist), daughter of Penelope MacDonald and Captain Peter MacLellan. Penelope (buried at Howmore) was sister to Flora MacDonald (helped Prince Charles escape). Peter MacLellan was also from Uist and reputed in the family to have brought the first steamship up the Broomielaw. Mary MacLellan married a James Lothian, a marine engineer who had a business in Dublin. He died in Dublin and Mary MacLellan Lothian with her 6 children returned to live in Glasgow. 2 of her children, John and Archibald, lived with the MacLellan family in Uist, later in Tobermory and became farmers owning with their MacLellan cousins, farms on Uist, Vattersay, and Cumbernauld Palaceriggs.  There was a letter (date unknown but about 100 years ago) sent by a Maurice Lothian, solicitor in Edinburgh which began "Dear Cousin". The letter has been destoyed and it is not known to whom it was addressed nor of its contents.  The death certificate of James Lothian would have been issued in Dublin but so far no records. It is James Lothian who I am searching for. Where did he come from? Where was he born? Who were his parents?  I have some information on his descendents that I can share particularly with anyone who has connections with this family.

Offline Elan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Family Lothian/Stewart(miss)McDonald
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 May 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Oh my Gosh! I really seemed to have opened up a can of worms here.
My Peter McLellan married Stewart Mc/Mac Donald/donald in St Marys Cathederal Edinburgh 17 Jan 1813. They were catholics. Peter and Stewarts only daughter as far as I know was named Mary Lothian Mclellan she was born/baptised on 7 Oct 1819 at St Andrews in Glasgow.
I hope this helps us all somehow.
Carroll,Newman,Carter,Higgins,BentleyMadsen,Meldrum,lay,Butters,Henderson,Stevenson

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 May 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
That spelling of Macfie not uncommon on Uist.

Skoosh.