Author Topic: Help identifying Halifax Coy. 1851  (Read 4455 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help identifying Halifax Coy. 1851
« on: Saturday 27 October 07 20:06 BST (UK) »

It seems my 3Xg grandfather was a Sgt Major in a Halifax ~~~Company. can anyone help with the missing word
The census ref. is Soyland HO107; Piece: 2299; Folio: 514; Page: 24

Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying Halifax Coy. 1851
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 07 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

This is my take on it - I don't think there was any Military connection intended? Or that the first appearing word of occupation is (or is meant to be)  "Pensioner" -  I think it is meant to be a rendering of "Reckoner",  especially seeing the emumerator  dropped the "k" out of  "Overlooker" on the next line.  I also think the second line was actually written first with the top line added next by the same hand.  Re" the Sergent Magor bit - if the penultimate word on that line is "Mill",  then I think this was intended to infer he was some kind of foreman, rather that a military connection -  this part was crossed out (probably by the enumerator's checker)   because the second line of description was sufficient to explain what Mr Bradley did for a living, without the extra clarification. 

reconer and sergent magor of the Halifax Mill Company
overloocer in a Wooling Mill Cheley

The address is "Lower Dyson Lane Mill" - the town was Soyland in the Elland /Calder Valley area of Halifax.

The wife is employed as a Domestic, which indicates the family wasn't especially well off? Ie his job wasn't as 'high up" as the description might have it?

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/uk/england/county/west-yorkshire/
Can't find a town Cheley or Chiley....

http://cdroms.blunham.com/Indexes/Leeds1853Index.html
Chellow 

http://www.city-of-bradford.com/chellow-dene.html
(Chellow Dene) - could this be where the mIll  was  that Joseph worked?  In the Bradford area, 8 miles or so from Halifax?

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/TRANSCRIPTIONS-UK/2001-01/0980011002
Interesting facts

Just my ideas though!

Cheers
AMBLY

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 07 21:56 BST (UK) »

I know Dyson Lane pretty well. These Days it would be called Ripponden, not Soyland.
and I can't think of any place name like that around the area, even the itsby-bitsy ones...

The only thing I could think of was maybe the surname of the mill owner?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 07 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly and Pauline,
well that's a take that I never thought of at all.
Yes the enumerators spelling is worse than my own (thank goodness for spell checks) and he is prone to missing out the odd letter or three. He does dot most of the i's so I think the place name is cheley, perhaps a place lost when the Oldham road was built / widened.
I personally think the top line is in a different hand, the d at the end of the 'and' is totally different from other lower case d's on the page. The line may have been crossed out because of its lack of relevance.
I am dubious about the word 'pensioner' which has been suggested for the first word, on the grounds that he is only 45 and was a W. weaver living Netheroyd, Soyland in 1841 (anywhere near Kebroyd ?)
OK thanks very much I will now have a re-think
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 07 23:19 BST (UK) »

With the note about apalling spelling I wondered if Cheley was "Shelley" but its 20 miles or so on the far side of Hudds...

Ref Nether Royd.
Nowhere is Soyland is going to be more than 2-3 miles from Kebroyd. Lots of small 'old roads over the tops'.
I'm always getting lost up there, and it's less than three miles from the house. Just go downhill until I meet the main road.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 October 07 00:05 BST (UK) »
Just found Nether Royd on oldmaps.co.uk, its at the end of Ripponden Old Lane a stones throw from Dyson Lane. Lower Dyson Lane Mill was near where Dyson Lane crosses the Ryburn Beck. I've had a look around but nothing there in 1854 remotely like Cheley. I wonder now if Cheley could be some kind of process. The term 'wooling mill' is unusual and most instances of it refer to American mills

Dave

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 October 07 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Ambly,
I think the crossed out bit could read 'Halifax post Company but that makes the first letter of the line also a 'p' and I can find no references to Sergeant Majors in the Postal services ?
Pauline,
have you heard of a person called Cheelie or similar living in the area early 1800's ?

Dave

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 October 07 17:51 GMT (UK) »

Dave,
Not come across anything terribly similar that I recall.
cheetham, cherry, chew, chilvers...

Can't recall what the mill building by Slitheroe Bridge is called, but I'ts nothing like cheelie,
Bar Lane apparently had several small mills, but I don't know their names,nor how to find out.

Pauline

Offline Aaron Clancy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 06:27 GMT (UK) »
I just came across my ancestor in 1851 Census mentioned as "Cheley Pencioner 1/2 Pay" of Abbeycwmhir, Radnorshire who in 1841 was "Army H.P.". I just found a "Cheley Bridge, Chelsea, cross the Wever River" which was in between both of our ancestors. I'm wondering if there's some truth to both our posts? Guess it could just be short for a Chelsea Pensioner being ex Army in general.