Author Topic: Family of James Bow Watters from Canada?  (Read 3171 times)

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Family of James Bow Watters from Canada?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 October 07 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes. I took a look as well.

I think that George may well have still been in Scotland. James' attestation papers refer to brother George being in Edinburgh. I suppose that it's possible that James may not have been in Canada by 1911. Perhaps he wasn't getting anywhere in Scotland so went out to join his sister and her husband.

All these names and dates are tying together I think, so that I know where this branch fits in now. There's all sorts of other loose ends to fix now. :)

Thanks again
Isobel

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 October 07 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, forgive me, I changed my posting when I read that George was still in Scotland, just as you posted your reply as well... but still had it in my head.  I wonder why he didn't put his sister, who lived in the area...  as next of kin?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline PhoenixExash

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 November 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Just found your posts. Christina Watters  (married Charles Gairns) was my grandfather's sister. My grandfather was John Leed Watters (all the siblings had either Bow or Leed in their names). The Gairns still live in BC but I have not heard from them for a few years. My mother was Sheila - only daughter of John Watters. Her cousin was Charles Gairns.  The George Watters killed in WW2 (on the return from the Dam Busters Raid) was also her cousin. From my grandfather's siblings only Christina came to Canada(as far as I know).  Ebenezer Bow Watters was a Merchant Marine Captain - DSC in WW1 - my great uncle - I met him in Edinburgh about a year before his death. John had two other sisters, Ella (one daughter- Mary), and Alexandra who was a nursing sister and ?matron of a hospital in London.  There was a another brother killed in WW1. My mother had other notes - if I find them I will post them.