Author Topic: Crockett & Guy, Strand Road/Waterloo Place, Derry  (Read 5921 times)

Offline keca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Crockett & Guy, Strand Road/Waterloo Place, Derry
« on: Sunday 28 October 07 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I know this one is a bit out of the normal run of questions but here goes!

Does anyone know what happened to Crockett & Guy the Ironmongers at 1 Strand Buildings, Derry?  My Grandfather was offered an apprenticeship there and I have the letter with the pay offer for the first 5 years.  I have a photo sometime after 1928 with the store on it, next to the National Bank, opposite the Victoria Buildings.

I went there last week and the National Bank is the Bank of Ireland and the Victoria Market sign is still opposite but the building where Crockett and Guy stood has been redeveloped, does anyone know when?

Thanks

Kev
Researching: FIRRELL (Sussex & London); GRIFFIN (Devon); CHOWN (Sidbury, Devon); CANNING (Co.Donegal/Co.Londonderry); GOODWIN (Staffs & Cheshire)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Crockett & Guy, Strand Road/Waterloo Place, Derry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 08 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kev,

The staff at Derry Central Library may be able to tell you when the redevelopment
took place. If they can't they should be able to tell you who would know the answer.

Christopher

Offline elagh1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 09 17:43 BST (UK) »
Kev,

Fascinating!

My father started his first job, as an apprentice, at Crockett & Guy in, best I can tell, 1928, and worked there for approx., 21 years....again, best I can tell.

He then spent his entire life in the hardware retail business....moving on to Coleraine and later to Ballymena.

He died in 1987.

Let me know what I might have to do to get a copy of that image you have! AND....that apart, have you a scan copy 'up' on line anywhere? Clearly, unless you know of another source, I would be very happy to have a good copy!

With thanks

David

Offline KennethCampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 December 09 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev,
Is there any chance of getting a copy of your picture? I have an old range by Crockett & Guy, it was in my grandmothers house, approx 90 years old. I'm in the process of restoring it, the photo would be nice to have for it.
Many thanks,

Kenneth

Offline KennethCampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 December 09 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Thats great, thank you very much. Nice to see where the range came from. Thanks again, have a good christmas and new year :)

Kenneth

Moderator's Note: copyright image removed

Offline mcfly

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 11 00:01 BST (UK) »
hi iworked in crocket and guys in 1954 rumerhas it had a bad fire during the troubles in irelandand had to close i would like to say hello to any body  who might remember me when i was a wee boy living in rosemount alis mcfly.

Offline Colinbegley22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, my Great Grandfather (William Begley) worked at Crockett & Guy for almost 50 years. He started working there on 1st March 1893. He died at his home in Northland Avenue Derry in Feb 1943. I would love to see the picture of the range if Kenneth or David have any pictures it would be much appreciated.
Begley Robinson Peoples Kinkaid