Author Topic: John HARRY--buccaneer/pirate or mercenary  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John HARRY--buccaneer/pirate or mercenary
« on: Sunday 28 October 07 23:41 GMT (UK) »
John Harry b1821 bpt.3.6.1822 St Austell was the first son of Henry Harry and Christian /Kitty Bright.He married 11.11.1841 St Austell, Maria Hammer b1823.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: John Harry--buccaneer/pirate or mercenary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 07 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

According to the 1851 Census John is a miner, living Union Road St Austell, with wife Maria and children Mary, Elizabeth, Anna Jane and Christina.

Will check the later ones for you

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John HARRY-completion of earlier posting
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 October 07 23:59 GMT (UK) »
John Harry b1821 bpt.3.6.1822 St Austell was the first son of Henry Harry and Christian /Kitty Bright.He married 11.11.1841 St Austell, Maria Hammer b1823.
The 1851 Census has them living with 4 children at Union Rd St Austell.
I am advised that he may have left Cornwall to ssk his fortune in South America after the tin mines closed.He had worked at several mines in and around St Austell,including the Polgooth mine.He may have worked his passage to the South American Gold Mines as he has been recorded as a sailor.
He died by drowning in Rio Grande De Sol,Brazil.He either fell overboard,was mugged or had an accident.This was Oct.1865.
Unsupported family conjecture is that he was killed as a buccaneer/pirate or mercenary.
It is possible that Maria (Hammer) Harry remarried.

I am hoping that someone might have information which will assist me.

Moderator Comment: Topics merged
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John HARRY--buccaneer/pirate or mercenary
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 October 07 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Karenlee.
This is a real mystery.I would love to be able to substantiate the detail I have posted.
There is a further mystery in that this John Harry apparently comes from  a different Harry family in St Austell.I can see a Hammer connection (ie John = Maria and my great great grandfather Nicholas Harry = Jenny Hammer from same Hammer family,but John Harry and Nicholas Harry seem unrelated except by marriage.
Sorry if this is confusing.
I am trying to connect the family of John with the family of Nicholas.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 07 00:18 GMT (UK) »

Not confusing at all, I can see what you are trying to do. 

Hmm, this could be a fun one.  ;D  I will see if I can find anything useful for you

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Karenlee
Can you suggest where I might look further on this subject?
Thank you for your interest.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 December 14 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I am revisiting this topic having discovered more about John Harry.
Apparently he definitely died 1860-1865 Rio Grande Do Sol Brazil as this is recorded in GRO Consular Death Indices 1849-1965,

Would anyone know how I might determine the circumstances of his death ?

A son Joseph Harry travelled to Beunos Aires Argentina from Southampton on :Aragon" arriving 18 Nov 1911. Might he have been looking for his father ?