Author Topic: George Sinclair (Biddall) FREEMAN  (Read 9424 times)

Offline LIB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Sinclair (Biddall) FREEMAN
« on: Thursday 01 November 07 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information about George Sinclair Biddall Freeman born in 1875 and married to Ruth Ethel Pearson from Darlington in Durham.  Their marriage certificate lists him as a theatre musician and his father's name as George Samuel Freeman.  Other than that, we have no more information.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thankyou, Lib.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Sinclair (Biddall) FREEMAN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 07 17:59 GMT (UK) »
What occupation is given on the certificate for George Samuel Freeman?
What about the witnesses - any clues there?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline LIB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 07 12:43 GMT (UK) »
George Samuel Freeman is listed as 'Dealer' on the certificate.  The witnesses names on the certificate are hard to read but i think they say 'Alexander Humphrey' and 'B------ A.M.Pearson'.  Date 11th July 1907.

My Grandmother believed Gelorge Sinclair Biddall freeman was born in Scotland

Offline LIB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 07 19:48 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother's diary mentions 'george sinclair biddall freeman's' (GSBF) stepbrother called Joseph Biddall (spelt Biddle in grandmother's notes). She says Joseph vistited fairs in Workington, Cumberland in 1900's.

The diary also says that GSBF was the youngest of fourteen children.  His mother was married twice and had seven children named biddall and seven named freeman.

She also mentions GSBF's 'stepbrother' (possxibly half brother) Sam and his wife Polly and their son called Sammy and their shooting gallery and coconut shy.

She also remembers meeting 'Albert' who she remember's as very very wealthy with 'his wagon as long as two coaches of a train'.

Offline BougoisSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 January 09 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi this is a long shot but I am trying to trace roots of my great grandad who was called Victor Freeman Barkell Bougouis! There is a fragment of a story in the family that he got put in a childrens' home and it was something to so with his dad either being or forcing him (Victor) to be a rag and bone man... do any of my names there ring any bells? I think they're all surnames!

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 January 09 08:21 GMT (UK) »
He was a circus man. I knew some of his family, Marius Biddall Freeman (clown/tentmaster, married Violet Sandow), Dave Freeman (Lion Trainer). 

I did a 'Freeman Biddall' search for you over at 

http://www.fairground-heritage.org.uk/forum/search.php?mode=results&sid=a10f4b6afa3f109ed3d758bfabb25a7b

look for posts by Josephine Freeman Biddall

George Freeman Biddall was the cousin of William Scott of Scotts Royal Circus. He married Susie Testo, who was a wire walker ......... so also look for the Testo Family. George Testo sometimes drops past www.fairground-heritage.org.uk

You could also ask on the circus forum at www.fun-fairs.co.uk/forum/index.php
and maybe get info from Tom Sandow or David Konyot.

good luck

Offline lolmac3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 January 09 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lib

Well I have one George Biddall in my family tree and two George Freemans, but I think the George Freemans are too recent to be the ones you are looking for. Sorry.

Have a word with Picapica he can probably solve it for you as he has a brilliant database.

Lorraine
Matthews - south & south east England
Walls
Deakins
Conneley
Freeman Biddall
Davis
Castle
Noyce
Rowland

Offline JoseFreemanBiddall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about George Sinclair Biddall Freeman born in 1875 and married to Ruth Ethel Pearson from Darlington in Durham.  Their marriage certificate lists him as a theatre musician and his father's name as George Samuel Freeman.  Other than that, we have no more information.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thankyou, Lib.

Hello Lib, I am researching our shared family. I know it is a long time since you posted but am hoping you will see this. I was in touch with a lady who I think is your Grandma but my laptop crashed and i lost my contacts. Is it A..e  S....ns? She said she has a diary.
Hope to hear from you, Josephine.

Offline bart.jones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lib,

I have just completed research on your ancestor George Sinclair FREEMAN and have a good amount of information on him - including photos.

He was actually born in Stranraer, Wigtownshire, Scotland during 1873.

You will find it in my Ancestry Family Tree - Mooney:Jones:Crew:Pennell:Bradfield Family -http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/24884699/person/1574576712

If you have trouble getting on to my tree let me know (with your email so I can send a formal invite which will certainly get you on.