Author Topic: Drunk as a Skunk Jane Conroy  (Read 8310 times)

Offline DianneP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk as a Skunk Jane Conroy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks I have tried  the general office of north Ireland statistics & also the site of proni.   

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 December 21 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas to you all, :) Came across this post regarding a Jane Conroy. My ancestor the late Michael Conroy convicted 1820 Native Place Wicklow Roscommon Ireland came out on the Vessel John Barry 1821 Sentenced for Life worked the Parramatta Roads with Mathew McElroy. He married a Mary Egan on the 17/9/1843 after his pardon in Melbourne, Tasmania Australia, he was a Roman Catholic. He had a daughter they named Mary 29/2/1823 (not married) to Sarah McGoveran (Sandle) Sarah later married Mathew McElroy Sydney. At present I am searching for any children that Michael Conroy and Mary may have had. Michael passed away aged 61 in a home in Parramatta haven't found the date still searching through the files. :-[

Janet :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 December 21 05:25 GMT (UK) »

Happy Christmas to you all, :) Came across this post regarding a Jane Conroy. My ancestor the late Michael Conroy convicted 1820 Native Place Wicklow Roscommon Ireland came out on the Vessel John Barry 1821 Sentenced for Life worked the Parramatta Roads with Mathew McElroy. He married a Mary Egan on the 17/9/1843 after his pardon in Melbourne, Tasmania Australia, he was a Roman Catholic. He had a daughter they named Mary 29/2/1823 (not married) to Sarah McGoveran (Sandle) Sarah later married Mathew McElroy Sydney. At present I am searching for any children that Michael Conroy and Mary may have had. Michael passed away aged 61 in a home in Parramatta haven't found the date still searching through the files. :-[

Janet :)
Hello Janet,

Melbourne is not in Tasmania.  It is in now what is the state of Victoria. At the time of the marriage, still part of NSW.

I have not wound my way through your numerous threads on the topic of Michael CONROY but perhaps you can tell me how you confirm the convict Michael CONROY (per John Barry 2) is the man of that name who married Mary EGAN -1843 Reg. 35639. Denom Roman Catholic. Parish St Francis Melbourne . Fiche 515.
Do you have some documentation you could cite?

There was a son to a couple of the same names in 1845 and his baptism at same parish, but there is not much point pursuing this line if father not the correct Michael CONROY

Sue
St Francis' Church on the corner of Lonsdale Street and Elizabeth Street, is the oldest Catholic church in Victoria, Australia. The main body of the church is one of very few buildings in central Melbourne which was built before the Victorian gold rush of 1851. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 December 21 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon sparrett, :) I know that Melbourne isn't in Tasmania I live in NSW this was posted by someone else, I haven't been searching much with this family as I tend to move to different ancestors at a time. I obtain my results from a very reliable source who mainly have records of Convicts that arrive in New South Wales. :-[

Janet :-\

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 December 21 07:18 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for anyone who can find her birth details.
She married George Foster and after her release was gold digging with her family at northern Victoria Australia when she met her death.

Proceedings Before Coroners at Muckleford Victoria 4th July 1855.
Twelve 'good and lawful men' ;
John Walker; George Woolhead; Edward Taylor; James Hill; Richard Martin; Thomas Adams; Edward Williams; David Burnet; William Gill; James Marks; Isac Digney, concluded that Jane Foster (nee Conroy) that;
"The deceased came by her death from injuries received by falling into a hole at Muckleford on the 26th June while in a state of drunkeness"
The 'hole' was a gold mine.
Jane Foster (nee Conroy) had her trial at Longford for vagrancy in 1829 and was transported in 1830.
It is stated that her year of birth was 1809 and her native place was Roscommon.
Her death certificate stated that her father was Michael Conroy.
joboy

There is a geni profile that names her mother as Ellen. I wonder where that information is sourced from. Jane was tried at Longford (Townland) could her Catholic baptism be near here?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 December 21 07:22 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor the late Michael Conroy convicted 1820 Native Place Wicklow Roscommon Ireland...

For information, Wicklow and Roscommon are two counties in Ireland.

https://www.townlands.ie/wicklow/
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/

Merry Christmas, everyone  ;D :D ;D :D

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 December 21 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello All thanks for your help, still searching and finding more information, will post again soon. :)

Regards,
Janet :-[

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 December 21 11:33 GMT (UK) »
... I know that Melbourne isn't in Tasmania I live in NSW this was posted by someone else ...
Janet, perhaps you meant that your post was quoting someone else? It doesn't read that way but I can't see how anyone could have posted from your Rootschat account. If you were quoting someone else perhaps next time use quotes or italics or change colour of font to make it clearer.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 December 21 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening aghadowey, I think I am mixed up searching for this ancestor on a family tree on Ancestry, I move from one ancestor to another trying to complete their records. I guess I am getting tired and hurry through looking for information. I like to make sure I find the correct record before I save it, thanks for your help. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-\