Author Topic: Caerbegin Farm  (Read 2895 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caerbegin Farm
« on: Sunday 04 November 07 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Does anyone from the Lanelly area recognise or know anything about the above farm and/or whether it still exists. I have seached on the Internet and found nothing, but I believe it is/was near Five Roads, Lanelly. In the 1881 Wales Census it was listed as a farm of 76 Acres.

My interest is that my great grandmother (Margaret Thomas plus her brother and sisters) and my great, great grandmother (Sarah Thomas (prev- Edmund) and great, great grandfather (John Thomas, who owned the farm in 1881) lived there.

Thank you

Roy Davies

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Caerbegin Farm
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 21:14 GMT (UK) »
For interest. I have managed to find it. Was listed as Cae'r Bigin farm in 1891, but now called Caerbygin farm SA15 5HZ.

Also found a reference elsewhere "There is a "Caer Bigyn", which would correspond to Bigyn's Fort just outside of Five Roads, near Llanelli. P and B are often mutated in Welsh."

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/CARMARTHENSHIRE-FHS/2002-02/1012843544

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 08 15:05 GMT (UK) »
The Thomas family I am studying seem to pop up on many of the farms in Five Roads and your names were familiar.
I have a Daniel davies born 1801 Llanddarog who married margaret Thomas born 1820 Bryndu Farm Five roads.
Their daughter Mary Davies married William Edmunds born 1847.
Their children were Jane 1864 , Daniel 1865 , Thomas 1868 , margaret 1870 , David 1872 , William 1874 , Mary 1877 , Elizabeth 1880 , Sarah 1881 and mary Ann 1885.
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 08 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

Thanks for the info. The following thread might also be of interest to you:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,274183.0.html

John Thomas (b.abt 1844) married Sarah Edmund(s) on 07 May 1844. He was the son of William Thomas (b.abt 1808) and Margaret Williams (b.abt 1807). As you will see from the other thread I have had trouble tracing down John Thomas and his parents in the years between 1841 and 1881 (when is living at Caerbigin farm with his wife Sarah (Edmund(s)) and family.

In 1871 John may have been a Farm Bailiff at nearby Iros Hill, and before that he may have been living with his grandfather Henry Williams (on the presumption that William Thomas and Margaret both died between 1841 and 1851).

If this John Thomas is linked to your Thomas family and you have any definite evidence of where he may have been in the intervening years and/or if you have a William Thomas (b.abt 1808 occupation Carpenter) and have evidence of his death between 1841-51 that would be fantastic!!

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 January 08 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy, thanks for your reply. My John and William Thomas don't tally with yours I'm afraid - but the thought occurs that theirfather Daniel born c1793 and who lived on Bryndu Farm Five roads probably had brothers and nephews nearby.
These are some of the farms in or near Five Roads where you find Thomas connections - Bryndu ,Cydyngwendraeth ,Penwaunfawr ,Glynsylen ,Graig ,Ffynonmenyn ,Bryngwen , Lettyr llwyndrew Llangendeirne ,Wern Fraith (Llanddarog), Penymoor ,Glyn , Brondini , Ty'r Emanuel , carnwallon fach , ffoy, Gorslaw , Penyrheol , Tandderw Hwngoed , Ty'r Bach Hengoed.
So if you come across any of these I'll be happy to share.
My farmers often had other occupations , one was a smithy , many were butchers , one had a sawmill and many were miners.
Good luck in your search .
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline stormgazer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 March 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
My family were from caerbygin farm and the following are some of my relatives, although they are from my grandmother's side, i dont as yet know how, i remember going there as a child with my mother and yes it is still there

Glenys caerbygin died mai 14th 1950 aged 8.
Ivan Thomas caerbygin died mai 31st 1962 age 61.
Elizabeth Tomas caerbygin died 18th july 1970 age 70.

Offline stormgazer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 March 08 19:12 GMT (UK) »
reason i know its still there is because i live 4 miles away from it