Author Topic: How can I find where he is buried??  (Read 7661 times)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find where he is buried??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi There's an entry in Swansea St Mary's Parish Registers for the little girl whose body was recovered was buried on May 17th 1893, "cemetery" written in margin alongside her name. No entry for William Jardine though.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Definitely Newport, as per report in the South wales Evening Post of 16 May 1893

..The body of the seaman, William Jardine, who was one of the crew of the Evelyne, was conveyed to Newport this afternoon by the 2.45 train.

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 May 15 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am not related to this family - I researched the tree for a friend as a gift for her father Alfred George Covell for his 80th birthday present.  I'm guessing you are also related to him.

What I can tell you about Williiam David Jardine is the he was born in Sevenoaks in 1681 the son of David Aikman Jardine and Adelaide Eliza Watson.  David was born in Bletchingly, Surrey in 1840 the son of Peter Jardine of Temple, Midlothian, Scotland and Helen Aikman who was also from Scotland.

If you'd like any further information on this tree please let me know - I found some interesting newspaper articles.
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 May 15 14:05 BST (UK) »
There is a William David Jardine on the Probate calendar for 25/5/1894. He died 13/5/1893 by drowning in the Bristol Channel off Trevose Head. Home Address 15 Dolphin Street, Newport, Monmouthshire. Administration Llandaff 25/5/1894 to Sarah Ann Jardine widow, Effects £64.
On their marriage certificate it states they married at Holy Trinity Pillgwinlly, Newport so perhaps that would be the area to look?

Kind regards,

Ellen

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 May 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
He died 13/5/1893 by drowning in the Bristol Channel off Trevose Head. 
That is just south of Padstow, Cornwall.  Depending where the body was fished out (Cornwall, or Wales), it might be close to there.  I know that bodies landed in Cornwall would often be buried in local graveyards, so if he were landed in Cornwall it might be on the North Cornwall coast (Padstow to St Columb Minor area).
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 May 15 14:55 BST (UK) »
Stanleyschesterton, Mabel Bagshawe mentioned in her post (2 up from my last post) that William's body was conveyed to Newport as reported in The South Wales Evening Post.
My apologies for a spelling error, it should have been Pillgwenlly not Pillgwinlly.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 May 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Stanleyschesterton, Mabel Bagshawe mentioned in her post (2 up from my last post) that William's body was conveyed to Newport as reported in The South Wales Evening Post.
My apologies for a spelling error, it should have been Pillgwenlly not Pillgwinlly.
Ah, hadn't spotted that, I need to be more attentive and less keen :)
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 14:41 BST (UK) »
It's people like you StanleysC who are so keen can quite often give that small piece of info that makes all the difference to a breakthrough, so please don't let me put you off. :)