Author Topic: Thomas Pepper  (Read 8741 times)

Offline suepepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pepper
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 January 18 08:26 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to research my family tree recently.
Thomas Pepper was my great grandfather. 
In the 1901 census Thomas is 35 years old and  living with his wife Elizabeth, and three sons Edward Thomas (Ted) my grandfather,  along with Christopher and Joseph. Thomas is shown as a tailor and born in Manchester, there is a an 1881 census entry for Thomas pepper then aged 16 yrs old, living with his grandmother Ann Pepper and working as a pawn broker asst which matches agewise but I have no evidence to prove that its the same man.
As Thomas was 35 in 1901 , he would have been 51 in 1917 and so doesn't match with the thomas kennedy on the cenotaph who was 47 when he died in june 1917 ( he died in Chester Royal Infirmary) The Forces War Record site gives no further detail or next of kin.
Having said that my aunt says that her grandfather (Thomas Pepper) was a signaller during WW1 based in the Marconi base  (Waunfawr?)
If anyone has any info on the Marconi base, I would be very interested.
I have no idea what Elizabeth's maiden name was so I cant get any further with that family line either ???

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, this family for some time I have had problems with, and do not record their correct places of birth census on census, so as Edward Thomas Pepper was your grandfather, would I be correct he married a Lydia Evans in 1916 and lived in Pool Street in 1939?

Was his birth Edward Thomas Pepper Dec qtr 1889 Dolgelly v118 page 327 mothers maiden name Jones?

Christopher Pepper looks to be the one born Sept qtr 1892 Festiniog again mothers maiden name Jones?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suepepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 January 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
yes that's right, Lydia was my nain. I didn't realise that they lived at 39 Pool st in 1939 but he did run a mens outfitters shop from no. 28 which is where my cousin runs the Optician.
Thank you for giving me Thomas's wife's maiden name- I didn't know it was Jones!
Thank you for your help.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 January 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
yes that's right, Lydia was my nain. I didn't realise that they lived at 39 Pool st in 1939 but he did run a mens outfitters shop from no. 28 which is where my cousin runs the Optician.
Thank you for giving me Thomas's wife's maiden name- I didn't know it was Jones!
Thank you for your help.

;) I did not say what number in Pool st in 1939 but for your information it was number 28!
Have you the marriage certificate of the couple, or Edward T birth certificate?
Keyboard86

PS a Christopher Pepper 19 b Merionith is a Private in the South Wales Borderers in Brecon in 1911, and if you google Marconi Waunfawr you will find  a lot of info.

Offline suepepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 January 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear ! sorry, I'm seeing things now.
I did try and apply for Thomas and Elizabeth's marriage certificate via GRO but got the following response "We have searched the indexes for events registered in England and Wales during the years specified (1882-1884). We have been unable to find an entry that matches all the details supplied in your application." But I didn't have Elizabeth's maiden name then so I can try again now.
I don't have the birth certificate for Edward Thomas Pepper I'm afraid.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 January 18 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, their is also a Probate record for Edward Thomas Pepper of Bryn Menai North Road Canarvon died 28th December 1948 Probate Bangor 1st March to Lydia Pepper Widow Effects £2022 14s
It is highly possible they did not marry, it is either the marriage certificate of Edward T and Lydia or that birth certificate in Dolgelly that may give clues for you?
 A Family tree on Ance*** suggests Edward Thomas Pepper was baptised 11th December 1889 Eglwys Llandecwyn Sir Feirionydd?
And buried 31st December 1948 Mynwent Eglwys, Llanbeblig.
Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 January 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I am a family member of the pepper family from Caernarfon. Thomas Kennedy would of been my great great grandfather x

Hi I realise this is a very old thread, but just where did the possible "Kennedy"  middle name for a Thomas Pepper b c 1863 Manchester occ Tailor who "Married" c 1886 come from?

Did Thomas/Elizabeth/Eliza also have a Catherine Ellen Pepper June qtr 1898 Carnavon 11b 469
Winifred Elizabeth Pepper September qtr 1901 Carnavon 11b 422
Margaret Matilda Pepper September qtr 1904 Carnavon 11b 442
All mmn Jones ( Same as 1901)
Seem to be in Hay, Brecon in 1911?
Keyboard86

Also this family, who have a Thomas occ Bespoke Tailor in 1911 who suggests they have been married 25 years?
It is the Joseph Pepper in 1901 and on this 1911 b c 1895 that puzzles me, cannot locate a birth but he if I am correct says he was born 1st July 1896 and "marries" an Annie and dies as Joseph Pepper b about 1896 March qtr 1969 Carnarvon aged 73?

And also a marriage of a Joseph K Pepper to Elizabeth Jones Sept qtr 1914 Carnarvon 11b 657?
Keyboard86

Offline bonzo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 January 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I see the Thomas Pepper saga looms on , each time I look at any thing to do with Thomas the next
page contradicts  the last page, as the 1901 census says Thomas was born c1866 in Manchester
and the 1911 census states he was bon in 1853 and had been married for 25yrs and had 8 Children.
on the 1911 census he is living at The Model Lodging House Bear Street Hay Urban Breconshire.
If he died in Chester in 1917 you could get a death certificate which may help.

Bonzo

Offline suepepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 January 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
ha ha I feel the same and he was my great grandfather!!!  Very frustrating that every census entry holds a slight different version of ages and birth places - I could order a death certificate for Thomas Kennedy but will it ever prove that he is definitely Thomas Pepper? I doubt it, and of course, sadly  its too late to ask the people who knew the facts. 
I have been tracing my mothers side of the family and all their details have matched census to census - I'm beginning to think he lied about his age :)  still the death certificate is a good idea- thank you