Author Topic: penrose, wicklow  (Read 21528 times)

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: penrose, wicklow
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 10 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,

I found the following in Census 1911 Wicklow. Hope you are still looking for your Penrose family. It is the only one in County Wicklow

Smith Miles, 56, Head of Family, Book Maker, Single
Smith Sarah 38 Sister Single
Penrose Peter 29 Boarder, Catholic born Co Wicklow Post Man Single

Search results Displaying results 131 – 132 for all Ireland

Cheers,

Julia

Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Julia, Oh yes I am still looking for my Penroses and thank you for the message.  I don't know if this is one of my Penroses as my last known Penrose left Ireland in 1849. (my g-g-grandmother) There is a possibility that my g-g grandmother had brothers that stayed in Ireland as my g-g grandmother and her 2 sisters came to Oz because of the potato famine. Possible they had other siblings.
 it would be interesting to try and find Peters parents and then grandparents to see if there is a link with my family. Penrose seems to be not a common name in Wicklow so hopefully there may be a link.
So peter born approx. 1882 so his parents could have been born between 1842 and 1862. Their parents could have been born between 1822 and 1842.  A definate possibility as my g-g grandmother born 1834. 
My Penroses were Catholic.
Thank you again
Kathleen
Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 June 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
There were quite a few references to Christopher Penrose -Extracts from the Cancelled Valuation Manuscript Books, Barony of Gorey, Parish of Inch, Union of Gorey, Co Wexford, Electoral Division of Coolgreany
4 Coolgreany (Land)
1855-1860 Christopher Penrose, IL William B Forde
1860-1864 Christopher Penrose, IL William B Forde
1864-1867 Christopher Penrose, IL William B Forde, George Brookes Francis Brookes
1867-1877 Christopher Penrose, IL Francis Brookes, George Brookes
1877-1883 Christopher Penrose, Christopher Mulligan, IL George Brookes

They may have left in the Coolgreany Evictions or in the Fitzwilliam land clearances

Offline Dom Penrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 July 15 20:56 BST (UK) »
The Penrose family of Ballykean and Brittas in Wicklow were from Wheldrake in the East Riding of Yorkshire and arrived soon after 1655. They became Quakers and were involved in business in Waterford, Cork and Dublin. They arrived soon after the English Civil War and settled in Wicklow which was strictly for Protestant settlers in the extended English Pale and part of the Plantation Policy after Cromwell defeated the Irish Confederate Army. 

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 July 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dom.  I am really stuck until I find who Christophers parents were.

I have been told by a professional that she thinks my Penroses  are related to the Ballykean-Penrose area in Wicklow. 
So I keep looking.  :)
Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 July 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Dom Penrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 15 10:34 BST (UK) »
I will check all my family records. Richard Penrose of Ballykean was my forebear. He was murdered at Ballykean by intruders in 1686 and William Walsh was hanged for the offence at Wicklow. The big question regarding Christopher was why he was a Catholic living in a strictly Protestant area.

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:08 BST (UK) »
Very interesting about your Richard.  Thank you
 I just keep thinking that my Christopher Penrose is related somehow. 
Christopher "married"  Catherine Doyle (who was the catholic) and I think that if he didn't convert to Catholicism when he married he and Catherine raised all their children as catholic.
Interesting fact , Christopher and Catherines youngest daughter came to Australia in 1849 and married a C of E man but all their children were raised as Catholic!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:07 BST (UK) »
There is a BAR(R)ADERRY in Wicklow !

Tara