Author Topic: scotland the expensive brave  (Read 889 times)

Offline olias

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
scotland the expensive brave
« on: Wednesday 29 December 04 19:26 GMT (UK) »
please help
I paid my money to the Scotlands people gov site searching for the birth cert for Emmaline Fraser. She was born between 1899 and 1904 but I dont know where. I didnt expect that the search would only cover 5 areas at a time. As I dont even know for sure that she was born in Scotland let alone the area this is very frustrating.
Can anyone advise on what I should do or is it all there and I'm being a bit dim :-\ :-\ :-[ :-[
Smith- (yes I know)All from Faversham area of Kent
Philpott- mid 1800 back
Sladden- Preston under Wingham

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: scotland the expensive brave
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

Unless the site has changed you can actually search all of Scotland.  There is an optio to choose 5 areas if you want but if you don't select any it will return results for all of Scotland.

Personally I would search for births between 1898 to 1903 (can't do 1904 until next year - not long to wait)

I would search for the name Em*line Fraser

The asterix is a wild card and Emiline, Emaline, Emmeline, Emmaline will be picked up but any variants with -lyn at the end won't be.

Then you have to hope there aren't too many for the whole of scotland.

It will prove expensive the less information you have but once you estabilish a Scottish ancestry it is actually cheaper than researching England and Wales.

Best of luck,
Pam 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Linton

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 13:35 GMT (UK) »
 :'(

If you are going to use Scotland's People, you should make sure that you know that you ancestors are Scottish. This is an excellent site but like all sites that you have to pay for, you are wasting your money if you don't have the correct information.

You would need to write to the General Registers for Scotland, Princes Street, Edinburgh, giving as much information as you have about your ancestor. You would need the year or as near as possible, the place where you think that they are from. It would also help if you can give the names of the parent's of you ancestor. If you don't have any of that information, then I'm sorry to say that you would be wasting your time.

The best idea is to wait until you have more information. :'(
Gordon, Spence, Reaper, Mavor, Guthrie, Small, Nicoll, Lyell, Hepburn, Adamson, Stewart, Colquhoun, Allan, Edward, Thomson, Ogilvie, Taylor

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 04 13:44 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census is also online at ScotlandsPeople. You may be able to restrict your search year via searching for Emmaline and/or her parents in the census.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk