Author Topic: Help needed to sort my Stephenson's  (Read 12428 times)

Offline Elton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to sort my Stephenson's
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 February 08 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

All I can say is WOW!! thank you this is going to take sometime to read through and sort out.This is certainly my Stephensons/Shotton.My Grandmother was Alice Janet Stephenson her father Thomas Stephenson 1848-1904 his father John Stephenson 1822c.
Kind Regards
Janice

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 March 08 04:28 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the family of a Mary Ann Stephenson and will know more, hopefully, after the 14th when the marriage certificate between her and Archibald Donaldson arrives.  They married in 1874.  I have looked at the one census entry of a Mary posted...I have found what looks to be her death on Free BMD...June quarter 1918 at age 63. 

Archibald and Mary Ann Donaldson's daughter, Mary Ann...was my great-grandmother.

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 March 08 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Do these two fit in anywhere?

Marriage 1909 Dec Qtr
CARR  Robert                  Tynemouth      Vol 10b    Pge 363   
STEPHENSON  Hannah   Tynemouth      Vol 10b    Pge 363 

Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 August 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
Wow!

I'm a bit late to the party but I've just found John Stephenson is my wife's Great Great Uncle, this thread is going to help massively.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 January 23 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Found this Info in some notes that I had.
John Stephenson (The direct line) and his sister Margaret were living with their "Cousin" ? Thomas at Easington 1n 1841.Thomas was to lose his wife Jane a year later and mary a widow Mary Armstrong nee Urwin in 1844.This marriage will prove significant later as Thomas died in 1857 and his "Cousin" John (The direct Line).who lost his wife Hannah in 1859,married his widow,and the two remaining families (From 3 different marriages) joined up together with the marriage of John (2nd Marriage)and Mary (3rd Marriage).You will find this amalgamation in 1861 all called Stephenson but not all direct siblings.
Regards
Janice

I have come to this post as my ancestor Sarah Stephenson's death in Seaham Harbour in 1873 was registered by a "Caroline Stephenson present at the death Seaham Harbour". I had assumed that this was her daughter Caroline Stephenson|Lawson, however I have just realised that the name on the death certificate is Stephenson, not Lawson.

So I looked at other Caroline Stephensons in the census and found that the Caroline Stephenson, daughter of Thomas Stephenson and Mary Unwin|Armstrong|Stephenson was in Seaham as a lodger in 1871. So could this be the Caroline who registered the death, even though she was only 17 at the time?

Sarah Stephenson and her husband James Stephenson were residents of Hawthorn Hive in Easington parish from 1828 to at least 1841, although he was born in Whitby, Yorkshire. The name Stephenson is fairly common so doesn't mean they were related but the families probably knew each other.

Thanks for the information here which was helpful to me in working out a possible theory.