Author Topic: Seaman's Orphanage Hull  (Read 109374 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« Reply #171 on: Monday 22 June 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
I thought this might be of interest to those will ancestors who spent time in Newland Homes Orphanage in Hull.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline banjoles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Monday 22 June 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol, great photograph of Newland Orphanage, any idea of the date?
My Aunt, Kate Elsie Lawson was there from 1926 to 1932.
I would like a copy of the photograph for our family history if possible.

Les

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Monday 22 June 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Les...early 1900s I believe...just right click on the paperclip and save.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Friday 26 June 15 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol, you may remember that my g.uncle George Reuben was there from 12 November 1901 to 19 December 1906 when he joined the army aged 14.  I've other photos, so will download this one too.  I always think, looking at the photos, that despite being orphans they do look happy (although perhaps not in this particular photo) and well fed, perhaps better than they were before entering the orphanage.

Lizzie

ps. It's possible my g.uncle is in the photo but as I have no photograph of him as an adult I wouldn't know him even if he was in the photo.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Friday 26 June 15 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie...from what I have read....they were quite regimented places but got a good education and discipline and were well fed and clothed. I also read that relatives often sent money to help with their upkeep and some of them had sponsors...It beats life in the Workhouse or worse...begging on the streets or being abused and controlled by an insensitive master.
I do remember you telling me about him and it's nice to see the way they lived and take comfort from knowing he could just be staring back at you from this photo  ;)
Carol

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Friday 26 June 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

Perhaps he liked the regimentation as he joined the army aged 14, rather than go to sea like his father and eldest brother (although he too joined the army when George was put into the orphanage), shame he died in WW1, not that I would ever have known about him as my grandfather (his brother) told his family he was an only child and an orphan, so the only family my dad and siblings knew was their mother's family.  Very odd person my grandfather from all accounts.  ::)

Lizzie

ps.  Back to my holiday now, we're in France but had such a busy day yesterday we decided to stay at the rented house today.  It's so quiet and peaceful here.  OH has been asleep on the sofa for a couple of hours (same as at home!!) as he said it was too hot outside.  I just came in to check up on e-mails etc.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Friday 26 June 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
That's so sad Lizzie but I guess he had his reasons.

We are go to France very year and love it...we are going in a few weeks....yes...my OH enjoys a siesta to when it's warm...a hangover from when he was in the navy.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Carol

Offline Adam Summerfield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Saturday 08 July 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

My father was born in 1947, and my mum told me that my grandma told her that he was adopted from Hull. I would like to know if there were any other orphanages aside from Seaman's Orphanage in Hull in existence at that time? Was Seaman's Orphanage open in October 1947? I am interested in finding any details about his adoption that I haven't been told, does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,
Adam
Sheasby - Napton,
Hargrave - Hull,
Hurley - Cork,
Criswell - Yelling,
Shepherd - Yelling,
Turner - Chesterfield,
Parsons - Chesterfield,
Watson - Chesterfield,
Beresford - Chesterfield,

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Saturday 08 July 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...there was also Newland Homes and Hesslewood Hall, was his Father attached to the sea do you know. The seaman's orphanage which was on Spring Bank was closed by then.
Carol