Author Topic: Seaman's Orphanage Hull  (Read 109076 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 May 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say that I have a book entitled "Postcards Of Hull" by Kennth F. Elsom which has two postcards of "The Sailors' Orphan Homes ...I can scan them and forward to anyone who would like them if you P.M. your email address....One is of the carnival in 1923 the other is undated.. it looks to be taken around 1900-1905
There are currently two volumes for auction on ebay :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline kaydoubleu27

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 May 09 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

I read the posts on the seamans orphanages with interest as my grandfather was listed as being resident at Newlands, along with his 2 brothers, on the 1911 census.

Lizzie W - would you be able to send me copies of the photos that you have of Newlands please? I would be very grateful.

I also wonder if anyone can help me with a bit of a mystery relating to this - my great grandfather was a mariner but I can't find any record of his death but presumably he must have died before 1911. The 3 boys mother (great grandmother) was still alive in 1911 and recorded on the census as being a housekeeper in Goole (where the family had resided previously). Would the boys have been at the orpahange because she couldn't afford to care for them when her husband died?

Also, does anyone know if archives relating to Newlands are at Hull Archives, although I live quite a way from Hull it would be worth the trip if I could find out more about exactly why and when my grandfather was there.

Any help and/or advice very gratefully recieved.

Kim
Murphy - Yorkshire (mainly Goole), Guernesy & Ireland
Ward, Broadhead, Laverack, Duckels, Skelton, Williamson, Crowther, Lambert, Clark - Yorkshire
Smart, Dalton - Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Bradley - Kent
Deamen - Wiltshire
Shave - Dorset

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 May 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi kim....This site will help...P.m. me if you want the postcard copies.
Good Luck!
Carol

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=221,591118&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline kaydoubleu27

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 May 09 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Thanks very much for sending me the link, really appreciate it.

Kim
Ward, Broadhead, Laverack, Duckels, Skelton, Williamson, Crowther, Lambert, Clark - Yorkshire
Bradley - Kent
Deamen - Wiltshire
Shave - Dorset

Online LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 May 09 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

Sent you the photos.  Just wanted to say that the staff at Hull Archives are very helpful.

Lizzie

Offline kaydoubleu27

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 May 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie, I have got them   ;D  - very much appreciated.

Kim
Bradley - Kent
Deamen - Wiltshire
Shave - Dorset

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 May 09 21:49 BST (UK) »
I have been reading these posts with great interest because my friends', father and siblings
were in a seamans orphanage in Hull, probably between August, 1922 and July, 1926.

I get the idea from the posts that there was only  one orphanage but that it's name and location changed, is that right?

Carol, I am particularly interested in  the books that you mention, one of which has the list of children for each year. 

Am I getting the wrong end of the stick from the web site, in thinking that the library is closed while they build a new one?

Thanks,

Elin :)

Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 May 09 21:55 BST (UK) »
Elin

I think there were two orphanages with different names, but someone from Hull will know for sure.

Lizzie

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 May 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Lizzie.  I would be grateful if anyone could help. Maybe I misunderstood. ::)

Elin
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk