Author Topic: Seaman's Orphanage Hull  (Read 109071 times)

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 07:34 BST (UK) »
here you go Elin:

The Sailors’ Families Society (DSSF)
The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Sailors, as it was originally known, was founded in 1821. They established their first residential home on Castle Row in 1863. A new home was opened on Park Street in 1867. Eventually the Society purchased some land on Cottingham Road to create a ‘Cottage Home Colony’ known as Newland Homes which opened in 1895. The Society has undergone several name changes over the last two centuries which reflect their varied work with both children and adults who have connections to the sea. It is worth noting that children admitted to the homes came from ports all over the north east coast, not just from Hull.

The records of the Society, including entry and exit documentation relating to the many thousands of children who passed through the homes, are held at Hull City Archives (DSSF).

The Sailors’ Families’ Society (link opens in a new window) still exists. Their work is now confined to supporting families of seafarers within their own homes throughout the United Kingdom.

Seamen’s and General Orphanage (DSHO)
The Hull Seamen’s and General Orphanage opened on Spring Bank in 1866. The orphanage moved to Hesslewood Hall in 1921, on land granted by the Wilson family (of the Ellerman-Wilson Line), and finally closed in 1985. The Sailor’s Orphan Society that ran the homes was founded in 1853. Their records, including entry and exit documentation relating to the children who passed through the homes, are held at Hull City Archives (DSHO).

The Central Library in Hull will have copies of the books: DSHO
Covering dates 1853-1986
Held by Hull City Archives
Conditions of access Open

Creators Hull Seamens and General Orphanage

Contents:
Minute books 1853-1985; General reports by Master to House Committee 1876-1902; Letter books 1864-1934; Annual report, 1854-1960; Administrative papers and correspondence, 1853-1986; Financial records, 1864-1984 including annual accounts 1942-1984; Admission registers, 1866-1983; Register and list of children assisted outside the orphanage 1853-1862, 1914-1923; Election papers 1866-1922; Leavers Register 1867-1985; Papers relating to property and investment, 1885-1985; Material relating to fund raising, 1879-1984

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Hull City Archives
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2009

The records described on this page are held by Hull City Archives

The City Archives are due to re-open in a new building in early September.
Hope this helps ;)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Thank you so much for all the trouble that you have gone to, you have clarified it
wonderfully. 

I really appreciate your help.

Elin :)
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Elin,
My pleasure :D....I will go through my books on the history of Hull and if I find any more photos or information I will email it to you.
Good Luck!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline JoberG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 June 09 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi to anyone interested,

I've only just latched on to the items on RootsChat concerning "Hull Seamen's and General Orphan Asylum and Schools".  I know this was the full title of the Home in 1909, and that the Home was situated in Spring Bank; from the frontpiece of a bible in our possession presented by the Home to my father-in-law, William Percy Collins, on 11th May 1909 as he left the Home at the age of 14 to fend for himself in the world.  William was resident in the Home together with his elder brother, Henry, and his younger sister Gladys Lilian from about 1904 after the deaths of both their father and their mother. [From one of the messages we note that their dates at the Home overlap with those of the father of "Penligen".]

My wife's grandfather, and the children's father Henry Collins, was a coastguard after service in the Royal Navy.  Unfortunately he died at the early age of 40, as did also his wife Elizabeth.  We assume that the three children were taken into care in the Hull Seamen's and General Orphan Asylum and Schools because of this coastguard/navy association.

Of interest to some might be the fact that the Patron of the Hull Seamen's and General Orphan Asylum and Schools was, as stated in this bible, "His Grace the Lord Archbishop of York".

Has anyone any comments on this?

Bernard
Hull>Collins, Gill, Carlile, Duncan, Fry
Bath/Bristol>Brain
Dorset> Collins, Jarman, Robins
Leeds and Lower Wharfedale>Gill, Wall, Procter,Watson,Bramley, Irish, Thackray
Kent>Ford, Duncan
Lincolnshire>Ratten
Selby area>Carlile, Hembrough
Northampton,West Bromwich>Jevons

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard,
Welcome to Rootschat...thanks for sharing that with us...how lucky that the bible survived all these years...I remember the Hesslewood Orphanage....as it close to Pickering park where I spent many happy years as a child!
You might find this interesting;

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/ScannedAccounts/Ends04%5C0000529804_ac_20080331_e_c.pdf

Carol

Offline penligen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard and all interested in the Orpanages in Hull. The one on Spring bank, The Hull Seamans and General Asylum and Schools (I didnt know it was also an asylum), my dad never mentioned that... this was the orphanage he went to. He went there when his father died and his mother had to work. The date was 1912 to 1918 (sorry not 1906) that was his birth year (senior moment)!! That orphanage became Hesslewood and later moved out of the city. My dad often talked about his days there, he once wrote a letter to the Editor of the Hull mail saying that he was very well cared for considering it was war time.  One of his jobs  was to polish the large brass door  knobs and collect litter from the grounds.  His mother used to arrange to meet him and give him things thru' the fence. I have a  picture of him in his sailors suit with his mother, she looks really sad. Fortunately his mother remarried in 1918 and he was able to go home.
Regarding The Newland Homes on Cottingham Road - that is another orphanage. I suppose there was different criteria for entry?? As others have written that home was in  beautiful grounds,  I actually went to school there for a short time (not because I was orphaned) but it took other children from the area. They had a great bonfire night and the Whit Sunday carnival was always great, my family who were toy wholesalers had a toy stall there every year for many years at the carnival  and a very close family  friend (now deceased) was a house mother there. I would like to research the records of the Hull Seamans and General orphange the one on Spring Bank at the time my dad was in residence and  if anyone has any photos I would really appreciate a copy. Regards and thanks KiwiJane

Offline JoberG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 June 09 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol and KiwiJane,

Thanks, Carol, for giving me the website address of the Hesslewood Children's Trust with those accounts.  I find it rather interesting that the name of the Hull Seamen's Orphanage, which now drops use of the word "Asylum" (asylum being really a place of safety, KiwiJane),  is still retained as subtitle (or parenthisis).

I'm sorry, KiwiJane,  that the dates of your father and my father-in-law at the Seamen's Home do not match.   However I shall try once again soon  to obtain some info. about the children in care in those years 100 years ago through Hull Archives.  In the 1970's my wife, who now suffers at a severe stage of Alzheimer's Disease, tried to get information  about her father but came to a "dead end" by being told that it was likely that records had been destroyed in the blitzes on Hull in WW2 - which, incidentally I remember so vividly from the bedlam-type noises we heard on most nights from the relative safety of an underground shelter in my case.

Let's keep on searching,
Kind regards to both of you,
Bernard
Hull>Collins, Gill, Carlile, Duncan, Fry
Bath/Bristol>Brain
Dorset> Collins, Jarman, Robins
Leeds and Lower Wharfedale>Gill, Wall, Procter,Watson,Bramley, Irish, Thackray
Kent>Ford, Duncan
Lincolnshire>Ratten
Selby area>Carlile, Hembrough
Northampton,West Bromwich>Jevons

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 19 June 09 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard...so sorry to hear about your wife...it must be very difficult for you :-\

This is an interesting story about one hull boy's experience of life in the Sailors' Orphanage more commonly known as Newland Homes:

http://www.thisisull.com/fiction/frankbeill.html

Carol

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 20 June 09 08:47 BST (UK) »
I have a newspaper article with accompanying photo of around 50 children...it tells of life at the Hesslewood Orphanage (formerly The Hull Seamens' and General Asylum) in the 1930s...I would be happy to email this to any interested parties if you care to send me a P.M..
Carol