Author Topic: Seaman's Orphanage Hull  (Read 109271 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 November 07 09:29 GMT (UK) »
The tramsheds were down Liverpool Street until well into the sixties...I remember them well....I played in that area as a kid...the bus terminus was at the top of Brighton Street ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 November 07 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Treetotal

My g.uncle left Newlands Orphanage in 1906 when he was 14 and joined the army.  I can see why he might not have wanted to be a fisherman like his father and older brother, but I wonder why he didn't join the navy.  Unfortunately, he was killed at Flanders in 1917.

I don't know Hull at all, so apart from the fact that I recognise the names of the streets from various census etc. they don't really mean much to me.

Liz

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 November 07 11:43 GMT (UK) »
It's a beautiful buiding standing in lovely grounds..it featured in a programme recently called "The Way We Were"...They used to hold an annual Carnival to raise funds and allowed the visitors around the the dorms...all the children were very well turned out and would help at the stalls...It would be decorated for the occasion with ballons and bunting...it was a great day out when we were kids!
It has recently been sold off..as children are fostered out or adopted more now and there isn't the need anymore.
The next time I am in the area...I will take my camera and take some pictures before the developers move in and change it beyond recogniton...will be in touch when I do!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 November 07 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol.

I have some photos of 1901-1906 that I bought from Hull CC Archives, showing the children, mainly boys in a band and a football team.  There is one showing a mixed group of children in the grounds outside The Francis Reckitt Home (Infants Home) and showing The Whitby and Hartlepool Home (partly built) 1902.  That has been written underneath the photograph probably at the time it was taken as showing is spelt 'shewing' which as far as I remember is the old way of spelling it.

I've also got an aerial view of the houses and grounds, showing a couple of trams running along the roads by the home, so again quite an old photograph.

I have to say when I saw the photos, I felt much better for my g.uncle, who I didn't even know existed, never mind that he had been put into an orphanage.

Liz

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 November 07 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say, as I mentioned earlier to Ian, I can't put the photos I have on here because of copyright.  If I want to publish them anywhere I have to pay a fee to Hull CC.  Shame really, but never mind.

When I got them they hadn't been put onto the Hull CC Archives photograph site as they had only just received them, but they may be there now.

Liz

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 November 07 23:54 GMT (UK) »
They used to hold an annual Carnival to raise funds and allowed the visitors around the the dorms...all the children were very well turned out and would help at the stalls...It would be decorated for the occasion with ballons and bunting...it was a great day out when we were kids!
Carol

The annual carnival was held on Whit Mondays, living very close by we went every year, a lovely day out.

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 November 07 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Bee

You are of course correct :)

I should have said Hawthorne Street, don't know where I thought of Wheeler St as, as you said, it's off Anlaby Road!

At first I thought that was where the other tram shed was, but that was , I think, next to Liverpool St. Early 40's and my mind's gone already ;D ;D

Ian

My mind obviously has pushed off somewhere else. My mum and dad, who still live in Hull, have just pointed out the tramsheds were next to Haworth Street not Hawthorne! but I always did mix those two up.

On a brighter note, I've just received an excellent e-mail from Hull City Archives. They looked up my Grandad's records and have not only sent me details of him but of his two elder siblings' entry into the orphanage as well. :D :D

As people have already said, they are very helpful and pleasant, a big thank you to them.

Ian
Ellis :- Hull and Devon
Holmes :- Yorkshire
Jull :- Kent
Johnson :- Hull
Roberts :- Leicestershire
Warry :- Leicestershire
Baldwin :- Gloucestershire

Offline penligen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 May 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi I am also researching the records of the Hull Seamens and General Orphanage.  My father was there from 1906 to 1912. Can you assist me in getting started,  I lived in Hull until 1973 so am familar with the location on Spring Bank.  Regards KiwiJane

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 May 09 11:18 BST (UK) »