Author Topic: Parents of Robert CLAYTON b1848  (Read 1872 times)

Offline mum1boys2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Robert CLAYTON b1848
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 November 07 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine & Mo.
Thank You for your help. :)
Looks like I am going to have to get some funds together and order his birth cert.
That might be the end of my Claytons for a while.
Kim. :)

Offline mcnulty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 November 07 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Hurst Green is not near Burnley, but lies to the north of Blackburn. Dutton is also a village next to Hurst Green.

Hurst Green is shown in map link:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=368500&y=438500&z=5&sv=368500,438500&st=4&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=368500&ay=438500

Dutton is not shown but is basically what is called Little Town on the map (to the south of Hurst Green).

I will look to see what, if anything, I can find for you.

Acc to IGI, marr to Jane Haughton, 17 March 1875 in Habergham Eaves (now district of Burnley), but Robert's birth given as 1851 Habergham Eaves also!? If Robert was illegitimate then maybe someone wanted to hide real birth place?

Regards,
Ian
McNulty, Cassidy, Entwistle, Robinson, Johnson, Caunce, Crawford, Lindsay, Webster, Anderton

Offline mum1boys2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Thank You for your time. I have not been doing this research stuff for very long but I can already see how and why people get hooked. ;D
Any thing you can find would be great.
I did find the IGI as well. You might be right about them trying to hide his birth.
Robert is my husbands gr grandfather and now even my husband is starting to show an interest. ::) He had not done so before...
Thanks again
Kim

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,

The IGI entry for Robert`s birth is a "member submitted" record and not an extracted record taken from the actual parish registers.  As they haven`t even found a date for the baptism I would treat this with caution.  It looks like it is a "guesstimate" probably based on his age at marriage or a census return.

The 1851 has a Joseph Chipindale (sic) living with the Clayton`s in Dutton.  It looks like Mary Clayton married him in June Qtr. 1851.  Robert is down as his son and a Chippendale in the 1861 census.  I think it would be worth searching for his and his siblings baptisms as they are sometimes far more revealing. 

If you need the census entry let me know

Regards,
Mo

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline mum1boys2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mo,
Thanks for the offer of the census. I am going to the library on Friday so I will be able to find it then. At least it will give me a couple of things to look for.
Thanks
 Kim