Author Topic: Anderson family Wick (from Morayshire) - also posted on Moray board COMPLETED  (Read 2308 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Anderson family Wick (from Morayshire) - also posted on Moray board COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 14 November 07 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I’ve traced my Anderson line back to my great great grandparents but have been stuck for 2 years.  Think I’ve now smashed the brick wall. 

So far I have grandmother Jeanie
g grandfather (Thomas born 1858 in Wick married Ann Fortune in 1888 in Glasgow),
g g grandfather (William born 1821 in Elgin married Helen Green in Wick in 1841).
That’s where I got stuck. 
William’s death cert in 1891 showed parents as William Anderson and Margaret Hendry.  I’ve never been able to find Williams birth or their marriage.  I began to suspect the death cert was wrong – it was registered by William’s son who was 36 at the time.  He would have been very young when his grandparents died so quite possible he didn’t know his grandmothers name. 

I now think I’ve found my g g g grandparents born in Elgin – William b1795 and Elizabeth b1794.  He was a wood merchant and moved from Elgin to Wick between 1833 and 1839 and lived in the same street as William and Helen (my g g grandparents).  They had 5 other children.  One was called Peterina which is also the name of one of my g g grandparents other children.

I need to get their death certificates to try and get further proof that this is the correct family.  I think they both died mid 1860’s in Wick (although I can’t find them anywhere in the 1861 census).   Once I have Elizabeth’s maiden name (which hopefully I’ll get from the death certs), I can then look for their marriage.  If it was around 1820 then that is more proof it is the correct folk.

I can’t do anything until I’ve got money in the bank so I’ll have to leave it until Friday now.  No SP credit left - boo hoo!

I will not get definite proof unless one of their deaths was registered by my g g grandfather.

However, with all the incidental stuff, I think it has to be them. 
What do you reckon?  Do you think it is a safe assumption to make?
Can you think of anything else I could try?  Apart from 1861 I have every census for both Williams and their families.   

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson family Wick (from Morayshire) - also posted on Moray board COMPLETE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 November 07 13:56 GMT (UK) »
This is resolved on one of my other posts.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,264282.0.html
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)