Author Topic: Young and Millett families 1600's  (Read 20044 times)

Offline Hester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Young and Millett families 1600's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi freida

Yes the Youngs were Quakers, which is why you won't find many of their records on the IGI.  I THINK he may be a descendant of Samuel Young, brother of my Gt x 3 Grandfather Jacob Young.  There is another person who posts on this site who will probably reply to you and I think he is a closer relative.  I can supply you with lots of info for the earlier generations, as can he!  I will look out and see if he replies.  We have a number of connections with the Sturge family, also Quaker.  All the families come from the Alveston/Olveston/Tockington area of S Glos.  The Quakers have left a wonderful set of records - baptism, marriages, burial records, wills, leases etc, in the Bristol and Gloucester record office, including the Youngs and the families into which they married, so there is a lot to work from.

Regards
Hester

Offline freida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Dear Hester,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.  How did the Sturges connect to the Youngs.  The Youngs must have thought a lot of them for subsequent generations to have Sturge included in their names.  I work in Gloucester so I will see if I can get to the records office to look up the Quaker records.

Freida

Offline freida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Me again, I was just re-reading your and Nick's postings, and he says that he has posted info on Ancestry.co.uk.  I am subscribed to that site, but cannot find any of his postings, can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Freda

Offline Hester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freda

Well. sadly I am tied into a different subscription to another site, and despite my local record office saying you can use Ancestry in their searchroom, access proved very limited and I was not allowed to use that part of Ancestry!  So I am not able to help there.  Can you tell me anything more about your Samuel - baptism/ marriage - I have several generations further back to Christopher Young, an early Quaker, died 1695.  He lived at Tockington Park, Olveston.  He married an Elizabeth Millett. 

Christopher's grandson also Christopher married twice - his first wife was a Mary Sturge.  His granddaughter Mary married Joseph Sturge.  There is also the marriage of Christopher I 's Gt x 3 granddaughter Mary married another Joseph Sturge.  Let me know what info and dates you would like.

I have obtained a number of wills and records from the Glos record office in the last few weeks which have filled in a lot of gaps.

Good luck
Hester

Offline freida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Well, you can tell I am not very busy at work this afternoon, being able to reply to you instantly!

I have only been doing the research on the Youngs for a couple of days.  I am doing it for my husband's first cousin, once removed's wife, whew!  She has Sturge as part of her name, but was a Young before marriage.

I have only accessed the census records so far and got to the Samuel Young b Alveston abt 1797 married to an Ann Roach.  Have found an entry in a "Jackson" family tree on Ancestry, indicating he was born at Earthcott, Alveston and died at Rook Farm, Oldbury.

My lady comes down from his son Henry.

This is all getting extremely interesting.
Freda

Offline freida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 December 09 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hester,

I have been looking at your Young descent as listed by you.  Did all of these family live in Earthcott/Olveston?  I am now of the opinion that my Samuel  b 1797 is the son of Samuel b 1759.  Did this Samuel have four sons, Samuel 1797, William 1800, Jacob 1803 and Thomas 1808?  Am I getting warm?

Are any of these mentioned in a will.  I have looked at wills on line, but cannot see any will that seems likely.

any help, greatly appreciated.

Freda

Offline NickGen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Dear Hester and Freida,

Apologies - I have been away on work and life has been carrying on. 

I have entered family tree information on ancestry.co.uk under Herbert-Young.  Freida, if you look under this you should find it.  I hope so!

I think I have updated it to include information from the Young tree drawn up in 1892.  This shows that Samuel Young, s/o Samuel and Mary, nee Shepherd, married Ann Roach.  I think this was a first marriage. 

Henry is listed as a son of Samuel and Ann, along with Samuel, William, Charles, John, Tom, Robert, Mary and Joseph (who married Elizabeth Blanch). 

I think Henry was a farmer of Alveston and married Elizabeth Wetmore Jones.  It looks like he died in 1882.  The tree gives him as at Oldbury.

Henry was a first cousin to my great-grandfather, another Henry (1836-1886).

I hope this is useful!

Best wishes,

Nick.

Offline freida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nick,

Thanks for the information which confirms what I thought, it is always nice to know one is on the right track.

I am probably being thick, but I still cannot find the information on ancestry.co.uk.  Is Herbert-Young the surname or is the person Herbert Young?  I have put both in the search family tree boxes, but nothing relevant seems to come up.

Regards

Freida

Offline NickGen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Freida,

Many thanks for your message.  The tree is actually called Herbert-Young Family Tree (my parents' surnames combined) and the name Richard Young, my late father, might be a link into it for you.

Let me know whether or not this helps you.

Best wishes,

Nick.