Author Topic: A Long Shot, but you never know?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
A Long Shot, but you never know?
« on: Thursday 30 December 04 15:58 GMT (UK) »
COLVEN

I`m trying to find any information about my gt aunt Effie Colven (nee Grant) although she married & stayed in Glasgow for I don`t know how long, she had previously been living in Edinburgh.
Her husband died in August 1901, and perhaps she could have retuurned to Edinburgh?

Effie was born 1869 in Derby and was there also in the 1871 census, but in 1881, she was living with her grandmother Euphemia Martin(formerly Grant) in Edinburgh. She had to have been still in Edinburgh in 1889, when she arranged for her sister Mabel(my grandmother) to be sent to Canada as an orphan (the father however was still living and Mabel admitted this in 1890 to the Marchmont Home where she had been sent, he was then living in Birmingham.

By 1897 she was however in Glasgow, where she married Thomas Colven, by the 1901 census I found her in Anderston Glasgow, Mabel & her husband & child (my mother Laura Maud) had come to Anderston from Canada
however, as mentioned Effie`s husband died in August 1901 and I have been unable to trace her further.
I have tried looking for a remarriage in the Scotspeople site, but with no success, I cannot either find her death, of course she could have died after 1953 (the Scots site only goes up to 1953, she would then have been over 85 years old)

I place this query on the board for Edinburgh, in the faint hope that perhaps someone who is researching in Edinburgh should come across the name of Colven, or that of Grant connected to Colven?
miracles do sometimes happen!!
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)