Author Topic: COLVEN does anyone know???  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COLVEN does anyone know???
« on: Thursday 30 December 04 16:16 GMT (UK) »
COLVEN Thomas

I am repeating this query (posted on other boards also) in the hope that I can contact anyone who would know of Thomas Colven.

The only details I know are, that he was age 27 when he married my gt aunt Effie Grant, in 1897, his occupation was given as a carter, his parents were
John Colven and Margaret (nee Lamb) Thomas was born in Berwick.
he married Effie as mentioned in 1897 witnessed by
Joseph McCully and Jane Kirk, the marriage took place in Milton Glasgow, according to banns of the Church of Scotland.

Sadly Thomas died in August 1901, he & effie according to the 1901 census were living in Anderston Glasgow, and his occupation was then a Foreman Carter, no children were shown on the census, so I do not know if they had any or not.

Thomas obviously met Effie in Edinburgh as the 1891 census show him in lodgings there, and Effie had lived in Edinburgh with her grandmother (Euphemia Martin)  on the 1881 census, so she may possibly have still been there at that time, later moving to Glasgow?

I searched to Scotspeople site to see if Effie had perhaps remarried, but could not find any other marriage for her.
I have also been unable to find her death (in Scotland) but the site shows deaths only up to 1953, when she would have been 84.Its possible she could have returned to Derby, where she was born, but cannot trace her there either.

So in the faint hope that perhaps someone could be researching the Colven family and have noticed Effie`s  marriage to Thomas, and may have further information about her.....?

Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)