Author Topic: John Taylor Suffolk 1835/1837  (Read 13012 times)

Offline Sme1610

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Taylor Suffolk 1835/1837
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 August 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,I'm trying to do some research into my father in laws family history with help from a relative of mine that is in to genealogy. My father in law is David Taylor, the son of Lazarus Taylor. As Lazarus died when my father in law was quite young he knows little about his dads family history.

Reading yours and previous posts it is certain that we are looking at the same family. Here's what I have found so far, please let me know if anyone reading this can identify the names and perhaps could be relatives of my father in law.
 Lazarus was born in Yarmouth in Norfolk on 9/5/1915 and died in 1974. He was one of twelve, the son of Alger Taylor (spelt Alger and Algar in different documents). Alger was born in Hopton in 1882. His wife or partner (no marriage certificate) was Beatrice I think with the maiden name Wilson, born in bury St Edmund's in 1884. The other children born to Alger and Beatrice that I have found names for were Sinfi (1905), Nathan (1906), Agnes (1907), Alger (1910) and we think Adolphus born in 1924.
 Alger senior was described as a horse dealer and lived in Stockton Bungay in 1911 although it looks like they moved frequently.
 Alger was the son of John Taylor born in 1837 and Sophia also born 1837/ Sophia was born in Orsett in Essex and John in Cambridgeshire. They had 4 children, James (1871), Bassie (1877), Bertha (1880), and Alger (1882).
Based on the registered occupation and frequent change of residence it appears that Lazarus was born into a traveling family.
If anyone can help fill the gaps or like I said thinks they are related to my father in law we would love to hear from you!
Steve

Offline Sme1610

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 August 15 19:00 BST (UK) »
hi this is a grand son of adolphus taylor of hopton suffolk.
Hi, was Adolphus born in about 1924 to Alger Taylor? I think he was my father in laws uncle if so... (See my post on the thread) would be good to share any info you have!

Offline neil1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

we are uncertain, post 1911, of the children of Algar and Beatrice.
we have Sinfi 1905, Nathan 1906, Agnes 1907 & Algar 1909 each born in a different place.

there are possible additional children, Ezekiel 1914 & Lazarus 1915 both born in Great Yarmouth.
Then Eliza 1916, Frank 1917 Eva D 1918 & Adolphus 1926 all born in the district of Thetford.
(Most probably Hopton, which is a small village below Thetford forest)

Just to add to the confusion, there is a village called Hopton (Now Hopton on Sea) between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft and there are some references made to this area.

without buying the birth certificates and checking the parents names, there is no way of being certain at this stage they are all members of the same family.

Maybe someone has a certificate for one or some of the above mentioned and could kindly confirm the parents names.

I feel quite happy that these are the children of Algar and Beatrice, however have no proof at this stage.

I hope this helps in some way.

Kind regards

Neil  :)

Offline Sme1610

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 09:32 BST (UK) »
We have the birth certificate for Lazarus and it has both parents names..

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage of an Algar Taylor to a Beatrice Wilson in Bury St Edmunds in 1902, according to the GRO marriage index. The groom seems to be listed twice in the index - once as Algar and once as Alfred, both with the same reference number. That suggests that he's recorded with both names on the certificate itself.

Now that you have Beatrice's maiden surname of Wilson, you can use it to help check the likely children of Algar from 1911 onwards in the birth indexes without necessarily having to buy a certificate for each one. By my reckoning there are 8 of them between 1912 and 1926 in Yarmouth and Thetford.

From my knowledge of Algar's brothers and sisters, he had an older brother called Ezekiel (born c1863) and a sister called Bertha (born 1879) which is perhaps why he named two of his own children thus. In my own family - the Smiths - we have a number of instances of the name Adolphus, including one who was well known in and around Yarmouth/Lowestoft in the early 20th century. Perhaps Adolphus and Algar knew each other and Algar named his youngest son after him.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Alger was the son of John Taylor born in 1837 and Sophia also born 1837/ Sophia was born in Orsett in Essex and John in Cambridgeshire. They had 4 children, James (1871), Bassie (1877), Bertha (1880), and Alger (1882).

John Taylor married Sophia Harris in Cockfield, Suffolk in 1859. His father's name is William Taylor. Her father's name is William Harris.

In addition to the children you name, they had: Ada 1862; Ezekiel 1863; Nathan c1865; Holland 1867; John c1870; Agnes c1872; William and Arthur, baptised same day 1877; and Alice c1878. 'Bassie' was, I think, baptised as 'Barzillai' in Fersfield, Norfolk, in 1874. Some of the children were baptised in Kent while John and Sophia were in the county in September for hop-picking. Happy to provide details of baptismal dates and locations where I have them.

Sharon

Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about