Author Topic: Circus Look Ups  (Read 52883 times)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Circus Look Ups
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lorraine

He's always been a problem tracking down - and I think his surname is spelt differently on every Census!
I guess he had settled down by 1901

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 November 07 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher

Please check out this link below i think it explains most of what you ars asking hope it helps

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/gendocs/census2.html

lorraine

Thanks for the link Lorraine.

I'm certain many RootsChatters will find that's a helpful one.

Christopher

Offline lorraine copeland

• RootsChat Member
  • copeland coat of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 December 07 05:58 GMT (UK) »
I know it is very annoying as i have some irish decendents i need to research but looks like i and many other ppl and not going to have much luck b4 1901

iv been doing me family tree for 6 years now and got as far as 1796 in britain

and im in the middle of tranfereing the info onto a dvd so the rest of my family and my children can view it on a pc quit easily and understand it and link up the bloodline

lorraine
Crake Durham,  Copeland Lancashire/manfield 
Holmes Leeds

Offline Spursbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 January 08 20:51 GMT (UK) »
circus folk are not on the normal census records as they where classed travellers so they had a seperate census done which includes fairground gypse hawkers and general travelleres

lorraine

Hi,  Sorry to tell you this but I have spent the past ten years reseaching my family and there is not a seperate census for anyone. One Census done every ten years but what is different is that you will find them living in Tent/Caravans/in Pub Yards/and Lanes.  The address is shown next to the nearest house.  A good example of this is my Lee family from Kent: 1861 Census living under Tent.  Just keep looking but most of the research has been done by Pauline from Canada and there are many links onto her site. Maybe you have found this index of hers - as it done for Circus/Fair/Gypsy folk and was on the Galloper Site for many years - also there was a site called Passing Through (I gave both sites each others details and they linked up) which listed Gypsy census info. 

I am at the moment trying to put all my information into a readable search - do contact me if you any of the interests below could cross over with your research.

Rita
Pettigrove. - any area and country.
Lee. Gypsy - Kent area .
Yelding.Hornby.Frost. Fossett,Travelling showmen and circus connections.
Adams.Tomlin.Penfold.Rossiter. Baker.Keefe.Allen my Kent connections.
Baker - Canterbury
Tanner. Eastbourne and  Horsham area.
Rout . Brighton

Whitehead- Burnley Lancs.

Offline lorraine copeland

• RootsChat Member
  • copeland coat of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 20 January 08 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rita

the circus ppl im looking for are the bakers, fossets,paulos,are just a few

and the main ones

lorraine
Crake Durham,  Copeland Lancashire/manfield 
Holmes Leeds

Offline macg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 23 February 08 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Copeland.
My aunt (who was known by a number of names) worked with the Wallendas in 1934 and 1935 whilst they were with Bertram Mills circus. She was known as Winifred Innes Smith,Judith Innes Lloyd, Judith Innes Gordon and Judith Lloyd. She married Phillip Kries  on 21st October, 1934, in Oxford whilst the circus was in Oxford, and they were photographed riding one of the elephants in the circus parade. Phillip Kreis was one of the Wallenda artistes.
Have you got any further information re the Wallendas of that time? She and Phillip travelled to Germany and joined Circus Gleich, but she and Phillip divorced shortly afterwards. I would be grateful for anything that you could tell me.
Thank you.
macg

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 13:16 BST (UK) »
i wonder if you could look up the name busch and millar  for me.i think they must be circus or fairground folk.a few details i have are jacob smith married matlida capel,her sister daisy married john cooper,matlida capel also married tommy scott,henry millar married b.1896 married rebbeca smithjohn millar married a turner,the millars married quite alot into smiths and coopers.any of the above names would be useful and anyinfo you have .many many thanks cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Copeland

I would be grateful if you could tell me anything about Leonard and Annie Mitchell - he was a circus musician in Lincolnshire in 1901, and she was a 'circus performer.' I d not think they were from traveller families. I see that Sanger's circus was in Grantham at the time.

Many thanks

Harlem's wife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 22:22 BST (UK) »
hi,i am desperately seeking early info on the wilson and rosaire families.i beleive the first rosaire came from france with a jacques rosaire.the wilsons are some cencues listed as travellers/hawkers and othertimes fair/circus folk.i would particularily like info on a john rosaire/roser/rose whose family mum dad and siblings left him aged 12 behind in england when they went to western australia aboard the simon taylor in 1842.in 1841 they can be foung in east grinstead on the common there.john was born in mereworth kent.thanks for any help you can give cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country