Author Topic: 1871 census of Toxteth Park Liverpool  (Read 6879 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1871 census of Toxteth Park Liverpool
« on: Sunday 18 November 07 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone help?
Who was living at 54 Beaufort Street, Toxteth Park Liverpool in the 1871 census?
Many thanks
Regards
Brian
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census of Toxteth Park Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 07 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian
54 Beaufort Street, Toxteth Park, Liverpool, Lancs

George Talbot head mar 47 rigger Swanage? Dorsetshire?
Jane           "    wife mar 40             Liverpool
Jane Ethell? mo/on/law wid 77              "
Mathias Christian nephew u/m 18 paper hanger?  Liverpool
Margaret Christian neice u/m 16 dressmaker  Liverpool
Ellen Ward neice u/m 2                                    Liverpool

Rg10/ 3795
folio 68
page 21

regards
ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 07 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ricky,
Thanks for that. Unfortunately It is not what I expected.
I have a John Ber(e)ford Audley born 1st August 1865 at 54 Beaufort Street mother Elizabeth Audley; no father given on birth certificate. I was hoping the 1871 census might give me a lead as I have no further information about him or his mother.
Regards
Brian

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 07 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian
there are a couple of John Audleys about the right age on the 1871, but none with a mother Elzabeth,

regards
ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 07 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ricky,
Sorry for taking time to get back to you. I have been working away for a couple of days.
I believe that I have information to every one with the Audley surname in the 1871 census and then somebody tells me of this birth of John Ber(e)ford Audley born 1st August 1865 mother Elizabeth Audley father not stated on birth certificate presumably he was illigiimate.
What I would like to demonstrate whether or not the mother is the Elizabeth Audley in the 1861 census at RG9/2712/22/38.
Regards
Brian

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 07 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

Beaufort Street was called Bedford Street before 1864 (?). It was changed to avoid confusion with the Bedford Street near the present day university. You could check Bedford Street, TP, in the 1861 census.

The 1861 Elizabeth (niece, aged 17) lived in Everton, which is some way from Toxteth Park. There is a marriage of an Elizabeth A Audley in Sep (qtr) of 1866 registered in Liverpool. You may need to get this for elimination purposes. I would have expected that a marriage in Toxteth Park would have been registered in West Derby (before 1881).

Ken

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 November 07 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Many thanks for your reply.
The Elizabeth A Audley who married in Q3 1866 is at 32A Queen Ann Street, Liverpool in the 1871 census as Elizabeth A Maude. RG10/3792/52/34. In the 1871 census she does not have a son called John, although I agree she is a possible candidate for being the mother of John Ber(e)fordAudley.

I was very interested in your comment that Beauford Street used to be Bedford Street. Earlier this week I tried to look up Beaufort Street in the 1865 edition of Gores directory but it was not there. I wonder if the street was listed as Bedford Street in the1865 edition of Gores directory.

Do you mind me asking how do you know that Beaufort Street was formerly called Bedford Street?
Do you know the reference numbers for Bedford Street TP in the 1861 census. I can only search by surname.
Regards
Brian

Offline jula14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm really interested to find out how you can search a census by address....?

I am looking into who lived at 52 Beaufort street Liverpool in the 1871 census!!

On a marriage cert in  1869, I have the husband's address as 52 Beaufort street, and the wifes at 35 Beaufort street, but would like to see census entry closest to that time to see if any family were still there and to check the spelling of the name.

Any help would be gratefully received,
Thanks and regards,
Julie 

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm really interested to find out how you can search a census by address....?

I am looking into who lived at 52 Beaufort street Liverpool in the 1871 census!!

On a marriage cert in  1869, I have the husband's address as 52 Beaufort street, and the wifes at 35 Beaufort street, but would like to see census entry closest to that time to see if any family were still there and to check the spelling of the name.

Any help would be gratefully received,
Thanks and regards,
Julie

Hi

Welcome to RootsChat. While you're waiting for a census address look-up take a look at Gore's Directories 1870 and 1871 showing head of households in Beaufort Street. The information was likely collected in 1869 and 1870 respectively:-

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-9968-NJYN?mode=g&i=855&cat=241645

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-8968-N7Q4?mode=g&i=21&cat=241645

Blue