Author Topic: (O)'CONNOR, MAGUIRE, CASEY of Ballinderry Co Westmeath Ireland  (Read 20992 times)

Offline Bernieo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
(O)'CONNOR, MAGUIRE, CASEY of Ballinderry Co Westmeath Ireland
« on: Friday 31 December 04 00:09 GMT (UK) »
My g-grandparents, Michael & Elizabeth (nee Maguire) O'Connor departed Liverpool England on 23 April 1864 aboard the ship "Morning Light", arriving in Melbourne Australia on 26 July 1864.

Accompanying Michael & Elizabeth on the voyage to Australia were Elizabeth's sister, Margaret aged 18, and a Michael Donovan, aged 23. They were met by Margaret and Elizabeth's brothers, James and John who had arrived on the "Tasmania" in 1858.

Michael was the youngest of three sons of Michael and Mary (nee Casey) Connor.

Baptismal records disclose that  he was baptised in the Parish of Tubber & Rosemount on 3 June 1833 (Sponsors - Patrick Cuff and Catherine Lynham). His two older brothers, also baptised in the Parish of Tubber and Rosemount, were Patrick, baptised on 16 October 1825 (Sponsors - Edward Casey and Catherine Kelly)., and George, born about August 1828 1833 (Sponsors - Owen Harrington and Ellen Gaunor).

He married Elizabeth Maguire on 7 August 1863 in the Parish of Tubber & Rosemount.  "Sponsors" are recorded as Thomas Gorry and Mary Tiernan.

Elizabeth was the seventh daughter of Michael Maguire and Catherine (nee O'Connor).  She was born in Ballinderry, Moate and baptised on 24 January
1841 in the Parish of Tubber and Rosemount. She died on 17 June 1888 in Garvoc, Victoria, Australia.

Elizabeth's siblings, their baptism dates and sponsor's names were:

Thomas, 19 April 1826 - Patrick Connor and Bridget Maguire,

Anne, 20 March 1830 - John Maguire and Mary Connor,

John, 24 February 1832 - Michael Feerock and Bridget Connor,

Michael, on 6 June 1834 - Michael Connor and Anne Carrol,

Catherine, on 29 May 1836 - John Maguire and Elizabeth Connor

James, on. 30 June 1838 - John Daly and Judith Kelly,

Margaret Mary on 9 February 1844 - Brian Carroll and Anne Maguire, and

Thomas on 21 September 1845 - John Maguire and Judith Kelly.

I am particularly interested to find out what happened to Patrick & George, and also any details regarding the ancestry of Michael Snr and his wife Mary (nee Casey).
Bernie O'Connor
Melbourne
Australia
Connor, O'Connor, Maguire, Casey - Ballinderry Co Westmeath Ireland

Offline Lorayne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: (O)'CONNOR, MAGUIRE, CASEY of Ballinderry Co Westmeath Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 05 12:21 BST (UK) »
I have a Peter Maguire, related by marriage, who was transported as a convict in 1829. He was tried at Westmeath and settled in the Milton/ Ulladulla area of New South Wales. Is this of any interest to yoy? 

Lorayne

Offline CANBANKIE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 February 06 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernie
I see you're still searching like I am,posting your info on as many places as you can.
I did find quite a lot of Gorrys in Queensland Australia,descended from my grandmothers sister and brother who emigrated there around 1874,but haven't been able to get back beyond William Gorry,born about 1825 in Moate.

Good hunting
Frank McGonigal Ont.Canada
P.S. Do you use SKYPE ? Using the computer to talk with a microphone any where in the world FREE.
If you do , my SKYPE name for contact is Frank McGonigal. 

Offline Mr Mgoo Melbourne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm a descendant of James Maguire (McGuire) who came from Co Westmeath with his brother John and sisters Elizabeth and Margaret.  His sister Margaret had married Michael O'Connor before coming to Australia.
We live in Melbourne, Australia.
Cheers,
John McGuire

Offline sl1pper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 September 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have just joined Roots. I have traced my fathers side back to a Thomas Gorry who came from Westmeath Ireland. At the moment that is as far as I have got. He would have been born around 1822.
He was in England at the time of his marriage which was in Islington London in 1849, and we have been here ever since
I have a copy of his marriage certificate on which he states his fathers name and occupation. His fathers name was also Thomas, and his occupation has been put down as "farmer"
There was no signature from his father on the marriage certificate, so I am assuming he was still alive and living in Ireland

Regards

Offline tomerong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 April 10 12:28 BST (UK) »
I have a Peter Maguire, related by marriage, who was transported as a convict in 1829. He was tried at Westmeath and settled in the Milton/ Ulladulla area of New South Wales. Is this of any interest to yoy? 

Lorayne

Hi
I am a decendant of Peter Maguire who was transported to australia  as above.  I am looking for information of where he was born and who his parents where. Any info would be great

David

Moderator's Comment: new thread for Peter Maguire started here so please post any replies about him on new thread: www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,451293.msg3132440.html#msg3132440

Offline Tomas D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 January 14 22:10 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

My Gr-Gr-Gr-Gr-Grandmother was Mary Maguire from Ballinderry.
She married James Kelly and Luke, John, Mary, Bridget, Honor, James, and Judith or 'Julia' who is my direct ancestor.

I am trying to determine if Mary Maguire was a sister of Michael Maguire (wed to Catherine Connor) or a cousin.  On Judith's baptism cert James Gorry and Ann Murray are godparents.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

TD
Adamson, Digan, Kelly, Burke, Griffith, Greene

Offline Tomas D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My Gr-Gr-Gr-Gr-Grandmother was Mary Maguire from Ballinderry.
She married James Kelly
...AND THEIR CHILDREN WERE...
 Luke, John, Mary, Bridget, Honor, James, and Judith or 'Julia' who is my direct ancestor.

I am trying to determine if Mary Maguire was a sister of Michael Maguire (wed to Catherine Connor) or a cousin.  On Judith's baptism cert James Gorry and Ann Murray are godparents.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

TD
Adamson, Digan, Kelly, Burke, Griffith, Greene