Author Topic: todds byers green  (Read 11492 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: todds byers green
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 March 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hullo DMA,  ;DIn the course of events I believe we will establish links to most of the Todd's in Durham. From what I have read they have at least been in the same county for over 800 years. THAT means a huge amount of branches!!!!

I am sure that the Todd's listed as Byers green and Newfield and Nutty Hagg are all related, differing baptism have referred to at least one member being at all addresses at one time or another. The hard part seems to be establishing which William or Robert or Christopher was who.  ??? ??? ???As they seemingly gave all of the children the same names even when they lived so close. Must have been hard at family get to-gethers.  :P :PI have been constructing a tree that you should have a copy of, probably as near to correct as one can get at this time. Getting the early members IE from the 1500's on to the 1700's has been difficult. Prior to that nearly impossible.

I have been in touch with the Durham University Library; they have a Todd tree on file, dates unknown. However I believe it is an early one and have sent for a copy. Gee had to prove who I was to even get one, name wasn't enough? It is too large! to copy so they are sending a CD. That I hope, should be illuminating.
I will PM my email address
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline dma

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 March 11 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neil,

I was wondering about establishing contact via e-mail, because I prefer that medium to messaging forums such as this, even though they do have their uses. I'm not sure what you mean by 'I will PM my email address'!
By the way, you may have guessed that I am related to 'Rytonlad'. We've never met, but have swapped numerous e-mails over the years. It must be nearly ten years now since I spotted a posting by him asking for information. I was able to open up a whole new TODD vista for him of ancestors he had never known about. Both he and I have the aforementioned Christopher Todd b1817 as our gg grandfather.

Regards... DAVID.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 March 11 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi DMA, I have sent you a PM (personal message) with my email address, you cannot send one as yet until after your 3/4th post on Rootschat. However you should have mine by now, I hope.

Personal messages can be sent by clicking on to the name of the poster top left in blue this will give you his/her stats and last post as well as the abilty to send a private message.

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne, You may have inadvertently pieced the next generation of our crew together in your first post on this thread.

We have been searching to track the family of Christopher Todd=Eleanor Hart marriage in 1779 and separate them or tie them to/from the other Marriage of Christopher Todd=Sarah Willey.

The father of Christopher 1757 that married Eleanor was Robert then the possibility exists that your family with Robert 1727 could be the same and linked to our group of Todd's.

Neil ;D

Offline kem1955

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 May 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

I am descended from Mary Todd of Byers Green the daughter of Robert Todd and Ann Mackenzie who married Henry Cheesmond.
How did you go about getting the Todd family tree from Durham University?
I have been researching the family for a while and am fairly sure my line goes back as
Robert(1774) son of Philip(1743) son of Christopher(1697) son of Robert.

I have had a problem locating most burials in the family any suggestions?

Kevin

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 May 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kem1955, Welcome to Rootschat; its nice to meet another relation. The tree that we came across and gone through by one of the others in Durham was done by an Australian Lady descendant in 1989. It, given the time it was done is good, but not as illuminating as first hoped. There are several branches to our tree from the area surrounding Byers Green and it has been difficult to get back past 1700 with some certainty. The lack of documentary evidence has proved a stumbling block. Compounding this is the use of same names in each generation and working out which person belonged to which family. I am really very intersted in your research and would like to examine what you have.
We have only in the last few weeks managed to get a copy of a Will made by one of my ancestors Christopher 1782, this has shed some light and given us more to go on. I will send you a Personal Message with my contact details. If you could get back to me directly we may get a little further in research. I have some burials but certainly not all.
Regards ....Neil

Offline hampan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hamilton Crest Badge
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne, You may have inadvertently pieced the next generation of our crew together in your first post on this thread.

We have been searching to track the family of Christopher Todd=Eleanor Hart marriage in 1779 and separate them or tie them to/from the other Marriage of Christopher Todd=Sarah Willey.

The father of Christopher 1757 that married Eleanor was Robert then the possibility exists that your family with Robert 1727 could be the same and linked to our group of Todd's.

Neil ;D

Hi, I am currently cataloguing Durham Graveyards with a view to producing a database for use by genealogists.  Just picked up on this thread and thought you might be interested in this grave of one of the many Christopher Todd's of Byers Green.  The inscription reads, quite legibly on a large picture:

To the memory of Ann, Wife of Christopher Todd of Byers-Green who died Dec 9th 1838 aged 59 years.  Also of Christopher Todd late of Byers Green/Mason Husband of the above who departed this life March 15 1847.  Aged 65 years.

Hope this helps the Todd family with their research, particularly with regards to separating the Christopher's!   
Hamilton - Lambeth, Carr - Low Spennymoor, Knowles - Spennymoor

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hullo hampan and welcome to rootschat ;D

Sorting our Christopher's is something of a problem and for the past few years have had the wrong one and thereby the wrong ancestors in one tree. >:(

I have this sorted now and am happily proceeding to track the right family members. One of which is my GGGGrandfather Christopher 1782 -1847 and wife Ann. One of the local decendants has kindly furnished a photo of the headstone to me previously, but I do thank you for your help.

The whole genealogy question has been a little more than first thought, but at least with the help from fellow rootschatters like yourself we are getting somewhere. ;D

Many Thanks Neil

Offline Janet re Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
hi Neil,
I've been quite curious about the posts on Christopher Todd and Sarah Willey.  I've been researching the Willey family and tracing descendants down from the top of the Willey tree, rather than tracing descendants up the tree.  I can only find 4 sons born to Christopher Todd and Sarah Willey: Jonathan, Thomas, William and Michael.  Christopher Todd died in 1789 and Sarah Willey married William Wright in 1793 and had 2 more sons.  Despite looking through a number of databases I cannot find a birth of a Christopher Todd in 1782 in Whitworth to Christopher and Sarah.  There is a Christopher Todd born 1782 to Christopher at Nutty Hag, but this is to a Christopher and Eleanor.  I was wondering if anyone has seen a primary source register that has a Christopher Todd b1782 to Christopher and Sarah in Byers Green, not Nutty Hag?