Author Topic: "Gorton Tank area" 1800's  (Read 21423 times)

Offline Treelover

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • --
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"Gorton Tank area" 1800's
« on: Tuesday 20 November 07 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I beleive there was an area of Gorton, Manchester commonly know as the Gorton Tank where they did a lot of railway engine repairs, etc.  I have a family on 1861 census.  Father is a railway engine driver and two boys are engine cleaners.  They live in Tank Row - can't find a map with this street on.  Would I be correct in thinking it was near the Gorton Tank?

Thanks
Joan

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Gorton Tank area" 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,
I believe Gorton Tank was south of Ashton Old Rd between the railway stations Ashburys and Gorton & Openshaw (if they are still there).
Last year I went to an evening class for French (in Lancaster) and sat next to a railway buff who found out I was from Manchester & spent more time talking about Gorton than about France!
However I've just found Tank Row on a 1970s A-Z and it is nearer to an engine shed off Hyde Road (same area) right next to the old Belle Vue Zoo. Its a small row within the engine shed itself.
I have to go out so I can't post a map section till later, but if you go on google maps or similar, type in 'Redgate Lane, Manchester M12" you can see the engine shed area. Tank row was in among that lot.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treelover

• --
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Wow, thank you ever so much for that information I shall Google straight away  :)

Joan

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Gorton Tank was at the back of Beyer Peacock steam train builders which was on Gorton lane. some parts of the B/Peacock buildings are still standing. If you type in "Gorton Tank " to the manchester image collection, you will be able to see many pictures , but there is none of Tank row. I will look on a map i have for you to see if it is on there. A fellow rootschater called " tonyh " may be able to help you with part of a map with it one?

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/

This site has some books for sale on Gorton and some infomation on Beyer peacocks .

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.a.ratcliffe/lhg/

This site might be worth contacing for information on railyway  ancestrors?

http://www.railwayancestors.fsnet.co.uk/

Migky ;)

Just found this http://www.beyerpeacock.co.uk/history/History%20of%20Beyer%20Peacock.html

Hope we don't turn you in to a train spotter now ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 13:04 GMT (UK) »
This site looks quite interesting

www.gorton-tank.com

Milly

:)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treelover

• --
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Migky and Milly, some good links there.  Thanks for all your help.

I'm very chuffed, chuffed, chuffed   ;D

Joan

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm very chuffed, chuffed, chuffed   ;D
Ouch!
Here's Tank Row on the 1905 godfrey map of Belle Vue . Unfortunately the engine shed is off the map, on the Victoria Park one which I don't have. There was a passenger station as well, Longsight Station, which served visitors to the Zoo. I think the site of the athletic track would have been the Hyde Road Prison in 1861, but I'm not sure. 

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Barbarh, it would be a far way from Gorton tank to where you say Tank row was?  Maybe there was another more towards Gorton ?
Migky ;)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 19:42 GMT (UK) »
it would be a far way from Gorton Tank to where you say Tank row was?  Maybe there was another more towards Gorton ?
I've got a drawer full of the old Godfrey maps that I can't resist buying, but unfortunately I don't have one that shows the Gorton Tank works itself. I think it would be on the Denton or Audenshaw maps if anyone has those
The www.gorton-tank.com site that Milly posted has a section of old map on it. Can't see a Tank Row but its only a small extract.  Was Gorton Tank its 'proper' name or a local nickname? I'm too young  ;D I only remember the Gorton Tub swimming pool!
Joan, what streets were next to Tank Row on your census pages?

:) barbara