Author Topic: Thomas / Griffiths - Maesteg  (Read 7763 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas / Griffiths - Maesteg
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 November 07 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Recording of the father's details seems to depend on whether the question was asked or not. On my grandmother's marriage certificate her father is recorded as deceased. When her brother married a few months later, no mention of him being dead and he died about 15 years before. So if it doesn't say deceased, he's either alive or he isn't.
 ::)  ::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 November 07 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to ask, what was the address on his marriage certificate? Was his name given as Wiiliam Griffiths, father David Thomas?
This is in the vain hope that we might find one or other of these people on the census. Is William on the 1901 census as Thomas or Griffiths?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline DiNA_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 November 07 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Williams address on marriage certificate was 55 Picton Street and on 1901 census is 52 Ivor Street.  (This is the most likely candidate lodging with Miller family).

William Thomas on the 1901 census and on the marriage certificate
Staffordshire: Wilshaw, Malbon, Leak, Buckley
Glamorgan: Griffiths, Thomas
Montgomery: Matthews, Edwards, Beaman, Herbert?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 November 07 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi again DiNA

The reason i asked about any siblings is that this would make it easier to establish basic facts about Mary and David.

Could this be them, for example - did they have daughters and where was the Picton St you mention?

RG13/5040/114/26

David THOMAS H M 36 - foreman haulier colliery (below)
Mary W M 33
Mary Eliza dau 8
Irene dau 3

All born Maesteg, Glamorgan

Address: 97 Picton St, Llangynwyd

kind regards, Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline DiNA_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 November 07 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I tried to post several replies last night which included most of this info. but it just wouldn't go through.

As far as I know there were no siblings - William was an only child.

Picton Street is in Maesteg. 

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 November 07 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to keep asking all these questions!  :)

We need to have a few things we can rely on as facts to find William's family on the census.  He should still be living at home in 1891, but since we aren't sure whether Mary is married or not, that is tricky.

If he moved out when Mary married, he might not have mentioned siblings I suppose.  Although he obviously thought of David as his father if he mentions him on the marriage cert.  What else does it say on the cert - who were the witnesses?  Who did he marry?

I found another family in 1901, with heaps of children, but that Mary would have been married in 1891.  (One child was called Gomer if that helps?!?)

Is there anyone of an older generation who might know a bit more and that you could ask?

Still hoping to help!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 November 07 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that the address from the marriage cert would be a family one, but the head at that address in 1901 is John Lloyd aged 47 RG13/5040 folio 88 pg 36.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 November 07 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Well done for finding that, anyway, Osprey!  Maybe William married a LLOYD though?

I think we should also ask whether there is a family link with the MILLERs that Williams seems to be lodging with in 1901.

Keep those answers coming DiNA!

:D

Offline DiNA_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 November 07 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I do appreciate your help and don't mind your questions.

As far as I understand it William considered David as his father although he was not his natural son.  So I am guessing that David and Mary married when William was quite young.

William married Martha in 1902, Martha's father Herbert being one of the witnesses. The other was William Philip Watkins, but I had never come accross this name before receiving the certificate.  I believe that Herbert was a lay preacher - I have got a newspaper cutting of his obit. somewhere but unfortunately no note of which paper it was from nor the date.

Unfortunately I don't have any living relatives of that generation.

I grew up some distance from William and although I corresponded with him  didn't ask the right questions.

I do know that when he was grown up William went to find his natural father (allegedly a wealthy man for whom Mary had been in service) who was less than interested and sent him away with a half crown.

Just read your latest posts. 

I don't know of any links with the Millers or Lloyds.

Thanks you so much for your help - I have to go out now - but will be back later.

Very kind regards

Dina