Author Topic: Thomas / Griffiths - Maesteg  (Read 7787 times)

Offline DiNA_T

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas / Griffiths - Maesteg
« on: Thursday 22 November 07 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone be able to give me some advice about trying to get over a brick wall with regard to my Great Grandmother, please?

My grandfather was born to Mary Griffiths in October 1880 but I couldn't find a trace of them in the 1881 census. The address, given on the birth certificate, was recorded as empty in 1881.  She was an unmarried mum - not good at that time - and no named father but family myth says that he was her employer, a well off landowner in the area, who took no responsibility for the child. 

How accurate is the 1881 census? Is it likely that she wasn't included?

She did marry later to a David Thomas but I don't have a clue what date it was. A preliminary search hasn't yield much luck in BMD.

Are there any good tips on searching over the internet? Sadly I can't do the research in person.

I must add that the Registry Office at Bridgend have been very helpful so far (no names mentioned to spare their blushes!)

Staffordshire: Wilshaw, Malbon, Leak, Buckley
Glamorgan: Griffiths, Thomas
Montgomery: Matthews, Edwards, Beaman, Herbert?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas / Griffiths - Maesteg
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 07 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

I've had a quick at FreeBmd

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

which is an indexed transcription of the GRO index - it's not complete, but up to about 1912 or so the coverage is almost complete.
If you put in the two names, select Bridgend as the registration district and put in dates starting at 1880, this reference comes up
David Thomas june qtr 1891 Bridgend vol 11a pg 986 with Mary Griffiths on the same page.
It could be that these two married the other two people on the page, but it's apossible. The reference won't help the local office, but will give a period to search for, or you could order the certificate from the GRO
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

People are missing from all the census years - any idea of her age?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 November 07 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi DiNA_T,

Welcome to Rootschat.  ;)

The only David Thomas marriage with a Mary Griffiths on the same page in Bridgend district I can find is June Q 1891,  Vol.11a Page 986.

Fisherman

Added: Osprey Snap
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline DiNA_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 November 07 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey and Fisherman

thanks for your posts.

I had found this marriage too, unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the right on. I've been in touch with the Bridgend Register office who have looked it up and it seems that this Mary was 23 - which would have made her 12 when my GF was born.  Also I understood that my David was older than she was but BRO told me that the groom was younger than the bride in this instance.

I don't know my Mary's age.  I expect that she would have been quite young when she fell pregnant. 

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 07 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dina

I wonder if it would be helpful to look for them in later censuses - since you know his name and birthdate, we might be able to spot them.

You don't include the details of the certificate - can you post the address, grandfather's name and anything else (however apocryphal!) you know about him?

Perhaps you know where they went or the names of younger (half-) siblings & it might be able to get a good match using this information.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 November 07 21:06 GMT (UK) »
in 1881, there's a 15 year old Mary Griffiths,a nursemaid, in the household of David Grey, manager of tinworks, RG11/5327 folio 130 pg 11.
This could just be coincidence and I could be casting aspersions!
 ::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline DiNA_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 November 07 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply - things to do and then the computer was playing up and after all that I had to go to work AND join in a special after work
do.

The address on grandpa Williams's birth certificate (1880) was 4 Temple Street, Maesteg, but this was recorded as unoccupied in the 1881 census. The occupation of W's father's (in reality his step father) was collier. (marriage cert 1902).

I've found William on the 1902 census - but by that time he appears to have left home and is a boarder elsewhere.

The bit about the nursemaid is interesting but poses many questions.   Is 15 too young to be mother of a six month old baby?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 November 07 23:09 GMT (UK) »
This is a puzzle!

I can't see them in 1881 either - I wonder whether she married someone else before marrying David THOMAS?  That might also account for the difficulty finding a marriage/

Does the family story say whether there were any half-siblings for William? Do you have William's marriage cert and if so does it give David as his father?  What occupation do they both have?  Where did you find him in 1901?

The more you tell us, the easier it is to help (hopefully!)

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline DiNA_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 November 07 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. 

I don't think that she was married before. 

Yes I've got William's marriage certificate - occupation for both William and David was collier. David was recorded as Williams father. But I know for sure that he was William's mother's husband.

Question.  Was a father recorded on marriage certificate even if they had already passed away?