Author Topic: Mills/Watermills on the Wirral  (Read 17238 times)

Offline nestonlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mills/Watermills on the Wirral
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 30 July 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
Doggy,
           The yesterdays wirral books come up quite often on ebay,no6 and no3 are on there at the moment so i'm sure no8 will come up shortly

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
  • I'll do anything for a scooby snack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Denise

I have only just seen your posting regarding the mill on Raby Mere and it's thrown up a few questions!

Did your Martha marry into the Williamson family by any chance?  I've boxed all my research papers as I've just moved house.  Thomas Lawton's death coincides with the Williamsons taking over the mill but did they just rent or obtain through marriage?

I'm sure one of the photos on here shows the tea rooms and it appears to say "Williamsons tea rooms".

I hope you will be able to solve this mystery.

Cheers
JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sattnin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there
 Martha Never Married she lived till 1932. aged 93. nobody in my family married into the williamson family. Lawton cottage was built by Thomas Lawton. My father used to take the money off customers who wanted to use the boats there when he was a child in the summer holidays. Williamsons had the Tea gardens and shop much later. My Grandad Percy Lloyd had a coal business next door for a while. If you go on google and look for Descendants of the Lawton family by Kevan Lloyd it will show you these dates. Kevan died so he has not updated or finished adding all our information on my Lloyd family. which i will be doing. if you have any photos you could send me that would be great. hope this is help full to you. i have a copy of thomas Lawtons will. please do not hesitate to ask me for any information.
kind regards
Denise Lloyd 

Offline SimonB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Doggy,

I appreciate that I am replying to an old post but get this, My nan and her sister were Sybil and Freda Williamson, Sybil was later to marry Joseph Harold Speed (my grandad) the Williamson's had the mere and the cottage with the water mill where Auntie Bub lived, now I am not sure if this was my mums auntie bub or my nan's to be honest but I spent most of my time down there on the mere and in the water mill cottage around 1969 until the boats were taken of the water years later, I also think that they owned the cottage/Farm up on the hill to the right of the mere which had swing boats at the rear of the cottage where I worked for a few pence a day at one point, my job was taking the money for a few minutes of fun, I think it was two new pence per ride after decimalisation! They also owned a big old house further up the road, past the mere and turn first left, the back garden of which had a private path leading back down to the watermill. Auntie Bub put me to work in the shop for a short while, this was situated just through the gates to the mill and immediately on the right, selling ice cream and sweets, I didn't get paid but I could have an ice cream whenever I wanted one, and as we seemed to have longer better summers then it was worth every penny. My Nan (Sybil) interestingly enough was born in the upstairs bedroom of the seven stars pub in Thornton Hough which her father also owned or ran at some point. Can't remember much else to be fair other than not having to pay for rowing boats and the putt putt motor boats that old man Williamson used to preside over.

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
  • I'll do anything for a scooby snack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon

Many thanks for the post as it gives me much more of an insight into that side of my family.  You mention old man Williamson, what was his name?  It would help me tremendously with my family research.  Also, your auntie Bub - what was her proper name?  Hope you don't mind me asking.

Cheers
JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SimonB1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 21 September 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Doggy,

I don't mind at all, problem is, that is all I really knew them as, Sybil Speed (Williamson) my nan passed away in 1999 along with my mum three days later so unless my older brothers can remember I may not be able to answer much more, however, my nan and Freda Williamson lived in the same sheltered accommodation in Bebington and I believe Freda is still alive, I lost touch with her after my nan died and her family started looking after her, I'll see what I can find out.