Author Topic: who was Skittery Winter today?  (Read 15262 times)

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: who was Skittery Winter today?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 January 05 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Am i for ever Skittery Winter, as i was born on 31 december, nora T.
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 January 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
My experience of "Skittery Winter!" was folk who appeared late at work after Ne'erday & got pelters!

Skoosh.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 January 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
First footing was common in northern England as well as Scotland.  We lived in Lancashire and my father was a popular first footer in the neighbourhood, as he had dark hair.  After midnight he would visit neighbours, bearing Christmas cake, whisky and a lump of coal (food, drink and warmth).  By the time he got home he would be rosy-cheeked and a little tipsy, as he was offered a drink at each house. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 January 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
The first footing at my parents' house has always been to carry in, through the FRONT door, coal, bread and cash.

My mum, who has always been the upholder of traditions, was from the Bolton area. There may have been some influence by the tee-totallers in the switching of alcohol for cash, though in this case there is always a drink awaiting the first footer. ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.