Author Topic: Circus Artistes and families.  (Read 44860 times)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Circus Artistes and families.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 October 10 00:57 BST (UK) »
I'm desperately trying to track down more information on Pablo Fanque's circus, as I believe my GG grandfather may have been an ostler for Pablo. A few things point towards this theory:

Anecdotal information tells us that Henry Dady (born 1846 in Dunstan, Norfolk) ran away to a Norwich circus as a boy (he had disappeared from the family and census returns by the age of 15). We are told he was an ostler for this circus and when they came to town in or near Southport, he took the horses to be shod at the forge of William Johnson and fekll in love with his daughter, Susannah. He stayed to marry her (in 1874)and worked as a cab driver for her father. Though I suspect the job offer probably came before the romance, I think the rest of the story is pretty sound. The reasons I think it may be Pablo's circus are as follows:

Pablo was from Norwich
Pablo and his circus seems to have had a strong equestrian leaning, therefore increased the odds that an ostler would've sought/found work with him
Pablo spent much of his career in Northern England
Pablo died in 1871.  The death of his employer, or the way the troupe may have been managed afterwards could well have prompted Henry Dady's decision to seek work elsewhere
Pablo's circus is the only one I can seem to find that had links to Norwich/Norfolk

'd really appreciate any information that might help... such as shows in or around Southport 1871-1874

Not surprisingly, Henry Dady does not seem to be enumerated in 1861 & 1871, the years he is reported to have been with the circus
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline kareneloise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this site  and  relatively new to family history - first post- and not sure where I should be looking. I am all over the place with my research and have so many qyuestions.  My ggma was Louisa Dakin from West Derby in Liverpool and ggdad was john castle from who knows where. i cant match him to any databases.  Grandad was Percy John Castle aka Valroy. Time frame would be 1880-1938.

grandparents were entertainers who spent time working with the circus but I don't know which one. I get the impression that they were 'all rounders' in the business- theatre, music hall , circus. My ggma did a strong woman act and a mind reading act and my granddad was a musician and ventriloquist. He used to play drums for the circus.   his father ( my great granddad) ran away with the circus when it came to his town. Maybe this is where he met ggma.

I contacted the circuses a while back but got no answers to my mail.

Thank you all

Offline hull_lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 April 11 17:36 BST (UK) »
hii know ithis a quite a old board but my great grand father charles alfred bickerdike 1882-1970 was in fossetts and duffys circus he was known as alfred the counjurer (proberly mis-spelt) i know he joined the travelling circus at around 14 after being told by his father that he had to go to eton to join the family buisness (bickerdike and paul arcutects) and because he said no the circus happened to be in london at the time and he joined as a clown and sort of worked his way up to his own act or so the story goes. if anyone knows any thing else on this or has any pictures i will be very gratful, thanks

Offline Sinead P

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hello,  Alfred Charles Bickerdike or "Presto" is also my great grandfather.  I know a lot about him and have loads of photos.  As we are 2nd cousins I would be happy to share all the information I have on him.  I am guessing you are the grandchild of Olive?  I am the grand-daughter of Marcus, Alfred's eldest son.  Nice to meet you :)

Regards Sinead

Offline SimonR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 May 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry to butt into your thread on circuses- but I am researching Charles Bickerdike's father- the architect Alfred Bickerdike (1845-99). I am looking into his buildings- particularly those designed with HJ Paull- the practice he ran away to avoid. They were partners between c1872-77, although I have found a couple of commissions Bickerdike undertook in the 1890s.
I have very little personal information about either man (other than the bald facts from census returns, etc) and certainly no photographs- although I suspect your photos will be off the son, rather than the father.
Any background information greatly received!
Simon

Offline Sinead P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Simon,  I am very interested that you are researching Alfred Bickerdike (the Architect).  I do have information on him and photos.  He is my great great grandfather.  It would be nice to talk to you further about your interest in him.  Actually both men were called Alfred Bickerdike, father and son although on one census Alfred junior is listed as Charles Alfred, I have his birth and baptismal records and his was registered and baptised as Alfred Charles.  I would be very happy to discuss this further with you with a view to exchanging information.  Look forward to hearing from you.  Sinéad.

Offline SimonR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
No family connection- just became interested in the work of his partner, HJ Paull- and it all went on from there. I only know of a few buildings- most of which have been demolished. The main commission was Christ Church on Westminster Bridge Road- which I expect you have found by Googling- now sadly demolished, except for the tower. I have a fair few images of it- but it was similar in style to Cubbitt's Union Chapel in Islington- so if you ever get the chance to visit that building it will give you a fair idea.
Frustratingly, no office records survive- so I am piecing their works together. The ones I have so far are:
Parish Church, Baxterley, Paull & Bickerdike, 1872-75 (alterations): Christ Church, Westminster Bridge Road, London, Paull & Bickerdike, 1872-76 (dem): Hawkstone Hall, Westminster Bridge Road, London, Paull & Bickerdike, c 1872-76 (dem): Congregational Church, Chorlton Road, Manchester, Paull & Bickerdike, 1873 (dem): Union Chapel Competition Entry, Islington, Paull & Bickerdike, 1874-75 (unsuccessful so unbuilt); Board Schools, Ilminster, Somerset, Paull & Bickerdike, 1875-77 (extant- probably Ditton Street, Ilminster and Horton): Skating Rink, Victoria Baths, Peckham, Bickerdike, 1876 (dem): Cadeby Church, Leicestershire, Bickerdike, 1878 (alterations): Church of Our Lady, Merevale, Bickerdike, 1878 (alterations)

In 1871, when Alfred Bickerdike was working as an architect, he and his family were living in a single house near Hanover Square, yet in 1881 and 1891 (after he had parted company with Paull) the family were lodging in shared houses in St John’s Wood. But by the end of the 1890s they were reputedly contemplating sending their son to Eton. There would appear to have been a dip in their fortunes, after Alfred left architecture to become an artist, followed by a sharp rise in the 1890s. Did Alfred Bickerdike come into an inheritance following the death of his father and mother in 1881 and 1887 respectively?

Would be interested in any background (especially images!) you may have!
S

Offline Sinead P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,  thats really interesting that you have found so many buildings I only knew of Christ Church (which I have pictures of both before the bombing and present day) and the alterations to Baxterly.  I can fill you in on some of the more personal details of the family though.  I will do so in a personal message though not here on this board as it is my family's story.  Regards Sinéad

Offline nitwitcat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi-----I'm hoping you can help me do some research on my grandfather.  His name was Morris (Max) Ferdinand Weigel.  My mother told me that he was a dog handler for Sylvesters Circus.  My guess is the circus was German in origin and I can't find anything on it on US web sites.
My mother told me he traveled around the world 2 or 3 times and that they played at the Pan American Exhibition in San Francisco.  I found him on the ships manifest for the Pennsylvania 18 July 1914 listed as a dog handler going from Cuxhaven to New York. Here is the link if you would like to look at it
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=HamburgPL_full&h=2962600&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=7488
There was a possibility that is was a Vaudeville act instead of a circus but my Mother said he complained about how the horses got sick on the ships and made everyone else sick.  I'm guessing horses would no be in a Vaudeville act but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm new to this site and not sure of the protocol but if you can provide any information or steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Chris Austin
Bethpage NY USA